A day in the life at Capital One
At Capital One, your days are what you make of them.
You choose your own adventure. That could mean solving complex machine learning problems, helping customers navigate their financial lives, releasing groundbreaking financial solutions, mapping out your career development or organizing Business Resource Group activities.
Here’s what a day working at Capital One could look like. Ready to get started?
Make a positive difference to customers
Associates assist our customers in different ways. They could help customers navigate our products over the phone, work behind the scenes to pioneer innovative banking solutions or protect our customers’ data. A few different ways you can improve our customers’ lives:
- Create industry leading banking initiatives: In 2022, Capital One eliminated overdraft fees and non-sufficient fund fees for customers. This is how the project came together.
- Support banking through different teams: A few associates in finance, legal and communications share how they support innovative banking and why they chose to work at a place like Capital One.
- Become a Money & Life coach: Associates in the Money & Life Program explain how they help people reflect on their relationship with money and adopt new behaviors to reach their financial goals.
- Help customers, directly: Here’s how our customers make a positive difference while working from home.
Work with innovative technology
We’re all in on artificial intelligence, machine learning, the cloud and data analytics. Find out how our support for innovation creates space for you to experiment and succeed:
- Launch new, disruptive products: We spoke to Élida Cruz, vice president and head of business experience design, about her approach to Capital One Software and what she looks for in associates.
- Innovate through patenting: The OnePatents program helps associates across all levels and job functions convert concepts and innovations into patent applications, encouraging everyone to become an inventor within Capital One.
- Revolutionize banking with tech: Associates take on meaningful projects that push the boundaries of what banking can be. Learn more about their work.
- Use machine learning to change banking for good: Abhijit Bose, senior vice president and head of the Center for Machine Learning, shares how Capital One uses machine learning to improve customers’ experiences.
Invest in your career development
Capital One gives our associates space to grow. Check out a few of the resources that can help you develop a fulfilling career:
- Become cloud-ready: We develop in-house training resources that help our associates learn, adapt and adopt new applicable skills for the cloud.
- Find career growth in customer care: Our Customer-Facing Associate Mobility program is a full-time, six-month experience that introduces associates to professional opportunities outside of their current customer care roles.
- Receive tuition benefits: Our tuition assistance benefit—which provides a maximum of $5,250 in tuition costs up front—supports the development of associates across all education and professional backgrounds.
- Use the Career Development Center: Capital One’s free Career Development Center provides private career consultation, workshops and a digital toolkit to help associates identify career paths and achieve their goals.
Give back to our communities
Our mission to change banking for good includes building thriving communities in and outside of Capital One. Here’s how you can dive in and help:
- Join a Business Resource Group: Cultivate a deeper level of belonging through our Business Resource Groups (BRG), which are voluntary, associate-led groups that provide space for community connections, cultural celebration, community service and professional development.
- Uplift communities: The Michael Wassmer Innovation Center is a collaborative space for community organizations, entrepreneurs and associates to volunteer and work together to build a better Richmond.
- Volunteer with Pro Bono: The Capital One Pro Bono program organizes engagements where associates dedicate their time and expertise to nonprofits and small businesses.
- Champion sustainable work: Green Teams are associate-led groups that help change the world for good through volunteer-led climate change initiatives in Capital One and our communities.
Live your life
Associates’ schedule includes time to prioritize their wellbeing. Whether that’s taking time to be with your family, invest in yourself or even enjoy some art, discover how your days are full of work-life harmony.
- Focus on balance: From ownership over your schedule to time to pursue your interests, Capital One supports associates living their life to the fullest.
- Invest in your wellbeing: Invest in Yourself Days are work days for associates to focus on personal and professional development. Check out how our associates, including leaders, use them.
- Find support for parents and caregivers: Learn how &family, a Business Resource Group, supports parents and caregivers with resources, community and connection as they balance family and work throughout their journey at Capital One.
- Draw up a connected culture: The Capital One Art Program inspires creativity and builds community across the company through arts-based experiences no matter where associates work from.
Advocate for others
Teamwork is at the heart of what we do. While leaders play a big part in developing our strategy, they also share their experiences, mentoring and creating space for associates to grow and thrive. Learn more about what your leadership journey could look like:
- Empower others: Monica, an engagement lead for Capital One Cafés, shares how she helps associates identify and earn career opportunities alongside her own development.
- Lead with humanity: Lenton, a senior director and horizontal operations leader, explains how his journey has shown him the importance of emotional intelligence in leadership.
- Put empathy first: Patrick Ens, president of Capital One Canada, talks about the importance of supporting associates’ mental wellbeing.