Senior Manager, Data Science
Category Data Science
Experience Sr. Manager
Primary Address Vienna, Virginia
OverviewTowers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, VirginiaSenior Manager, Data Science
Data is at the center of everything we do. As a startup, we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 200 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making.
As a Data Scientist at Capital One, you’ll be part of a team that’s leading the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale, using the latest in computing and machine learning technologies and operating across billions of customer records to unlock the big opportunities that help everyday people save money, time and agony in their financial lives.
The Connect ML team provides shared machine learning resources. This means we build models that are inputs for other teams’ models, we build software packages that make other data science teams more capable, scalable, and robust, and we provide human-labeled data for training and monitoring models. This role is in the ML Capabilities group within Connect ML, focused on building embedding models used by other teams. These embeddings summarize customers using their activity and profiles, and serve as easy-to-use features for models such as fraud detection and personalization. We use Tensorflow/keras and PyTorch, depending on specific project needs.
In this role, you will:
- Lead a team of data scientists building embedding models to be used in applications across the enterprise.
- “Lead from within Github”, hands-on, contributing a strong technical perspective to the work.
- Develop and execute a vision for enabling the production, deployment, and use of different embeddings by other teams across the company. The team will create software packages and define workflows making it easy to deploy and use embeddings.
- Partner with a cross-functional team of data scientists, software engineers, and product managers to deliver a product customers love
- Build machine learning models through all phases of development, from design through training, evaluation, validation, and implementation
- Flex your interpersonal skills to translate the complexity of your work into tangible business goals
The Ideal Candidate is:
- Technical. You’re comfortable with open-source languages and are passionate about developing further. You have hands-on experience developing data science solutions using open-source tools and cloud computing platforms.
- A leader. You challenge conventional thinking and work with stakeholders to identify and improve the status quo. You’re passionate about talent development for your own team and beyond.
- Innovative. You continually research and evaluate emerging technologies. You stay current on published state-of-the-art methods, technologies, and applications and seek out opportunities to apply them.
- Creative. You thrive on bringing definition to big, undefined problems. You love asking questions and pushing hard to find answers. You’re not afraid to share a new idea.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 7 years of experience in data analytics, or Master’s Degree plus 5 years of experience in data analytics, or PhD plus 2 years of experience in data analytics
- At least 3 years’ experience in open source programming languages for large scale data analysis
- At least 3 years’ experience with machine learning
- At least 3 years’ experience with relational databases
- PhD in “STEM” field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) plus 4 years of experience in data analytics
- At least 1 year of experience working with AWS
- At least 1 year of experience managing people
- At least 5 years’ experience in Python, Scala, or R for large scale data analysis
- At least 5 years’ experience with machine learning
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
How We Hire
We take finding great coworkers pretty seriously.
Step 1 Apply
It only takes a few minutes to complete our application and assessment.
Step 2 Screen and Schedule
If your application is a good match you’ll hear from one of our recruiters to set up a screening interview.
Step 3 Interview(s)
Now’s your chance to learn about the job, show us who you are, share why you would be a great addition to the team and determine if Capital One is the place for you.
Step 4 Decision
The team will discuss — if it’s a good fit for us and you, we’ll make it official!
How to Pick the Perfect Career Opportunity
Overwhelmed by a tough career choice? Read these tips from Devon Rollins, Senior Director of Cyber Intelligence, to help you accept the right offer with confidence.
Your wellbeing is our priority
Our benefits and total compensation package is designed for the whole person. Caring for both you and your family.
Healthy Body, Healthy Mind
You have options and we have the tools to help you decide which health plans best fit your needs.
Save Money, Make Money
Secure your present, plan for your future and reduce expenses along the way.
Time, Family and Advice
Options for your time, opportunities for your family, and advice along the way. It’s time to BeWell.
Here’s how the team fits together. We’re big on growth and knowing who and how coworkers can best support you.
You don't have any pinned jobs right now
Want more jobs like this?
Set a Job Alert
Explore Your Options
Build the next generation of digital tools for our customers—we’re always innovating solutions.Explore 517 Jobs
Leverage technology in new and powerful ways to pioneer change, all in the pursuit of changing banking for good.Explore 603 Jobs
When our customers have questions about our products and services, they’ll turn to you.Explore 13 Jobs
Design and create future-forward products on a team of innovators helping to change banking for good.Explore 341 Jobs
Write code and crunch numbers, all in pursuit of developing models that solve problems—and make us a better bank.Explore 74 Jobs
Use your tech skills to stop cyber threats and help make banking safe and secure for our customers.Explore 36 Jobs
Help us tell our story by creating memorable digital experiences for our customers through your creativity and ingenuity.Explore 85 Jobs
Take your place on the front lines, representing our brand, problem solving and building relationships with the customersExplore 196 Jobs
Your outgoing personality and tech-savvy know-how can make all the difference for the customers that visit our cafés.Explore 22 Jobs
Use cutting-edge software, audit methodologies, and data science to help us make great business decisions.Explore 18 Jobs
Use your bold perspective and specialized skills to drive projects and implement financial strategies—challenging the way banking is done.Explore 90 Jobs
Deliver expert advice, superior products and best-in-class service to our commercial partners.Explore 32 Jobs
Your entrepreneurial mindset and expertise leads to one-of-a-kind service for every small business owner you assist.Explore 25 Jobs
Use your expertise and perspective to bring insights to the table so we can grow in the right ways.Explore 185 Jobs
Be on the frontlines of attracting, engaging and retaining top talent that’s helping us change banking for good.Explore 55 Jobs
Marketing and Communications
Help us tell our story, connect with customers and introduce our products and to the world.Explore 14 Jobs
Help us communicate how we’re changing banking for good, and ensure our brand is one of the most recognized in the industry.Explore 36 Jobs
Analyze, develop and test the strategies that pull insights from our data and move us forward.Explore 22 Jobs
Use your strategic and analytical skills to help solve major challenges and make both our business and banking, better.Explore 89 Jobs
Offer simple answers to complex questions, while helping both our team and customers thrive.Explore 83 Jobs
Move our innovations closer to reality by mitigating legal risk with your expertise and ability to advise on strategic business decisions.Explore 16 Jobs