Product DesignerApply now Job ID R83160 Updated date 10/30/2019 Location Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Product Designer, Capital One
Product Designers at Capital One are problem-solvers with excellent visualization, collaboration, and communication skills – and are hybrids that understand design and development from start to finish. We create compelling interactive experiences and are passionate about designing products the right way – ultimately making digital banking something to be excited about.
What You'll Be Doing:
• Ideating and thinking critically about how users interact with conversational messaging and voice-enabled user interfaces. From design sprints to team exploration you'll be brainstorming, sketching, and wire-framing your ideas. You will be contributing to positively change customers’ expectations on what their bank can do for them.
• Iterating on your designs, informed by user research. You'll be learning about people and how they interact with money, and designing products to meet those needs. Design thinking isn't just a buzzword, it means placing customers first and adapting as you learn.
• Analyzing customer data, and watching market trends for conversational interfaces and Artificial Intelligence. We’re using data to define the future of our messaging products, from bots and beyond. And you’ll use this data to inform how you design for those products.
• Co-creating content with some of the best product managers, content strategists, researchers, engineers, and other partners in the industry. Together, you’re designing an entire ecosystem of messaging products and conversational interfaces, so it’s crucial you’re a collaborative and inclusive team member.
• Designing more than just user interface layouts with visual polish. You'll be creating user flows, customer journeys, and usable interactions with one purpose in mind: conversational interaction for both voice and screen. Tackling complex problems will be a regular activity, designing intuitive user-centered experiences.
• Prototyping your ideas and product needs, using whichever tool is most expedient. In browser or out, you'll provide highly accurate and technically feasible prototypes that will be used and shared regularly. A prototype is worth a thousand meetings, and yours will help expedite the design and product development cycle.
• Shipping is a more than just agile development processes. All your work is grounded in what we'll deliver to our customers, but you'll push product designs to the farthest reaches of their potential. As part of a sprint team you'll tackle user needs together, and provide creative solutions while balancing development best practices.
Successful candidates will:
• Understand complex systems, processes, and relationships.
• Creatively solve problems and constantly learn new things.
• Be digital-oriented.
• Be decisive – value feedback but don’t require it to make decisions.
• Be empathetic – customer needs are foremost in their mind.
• Be fast-paced and crank out quality with speed.
• Be able to generate a broad range of concepts and ideas.
• Know good design when they see it and know the lingo.
• Have excellent writing and communication skills.
• Be comfortable with whiteboards and markers.
• Be efficient multitaskers.
Bachelor’s Degree or Military Experience
At least 4 years experience in UX Design
• Rapidly prototype designs.
• Communicate ideas for numerous designs.
• Produce clean, technically accurate files (wireframes, mockups, prototypes.)
• Work in an iterative Agile development environment.
• Complete work correctly and efficiently to meet deadlines.
• Effectively communicate design principles and specifications.
• Share knowledge across product teams and lines of business.
• Manage numerous projects at one time.
• Be proficient in Adobe software: Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc.
• Be a master of Sketch app
• Be comfortable with Google Suite products
• Have a proficient understanding of XHTML/HTML5 and CSS.
• Utilize prototyping tools such as Invision, Framer, Flinto, or similar.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).