Director, DevOps Software EngineeringApply now Job ID R73241 Updated date 04/15/2019 Location Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Are you excited by the challenge of solving large-scale FinTech problems through innovative engineering and product management? Do you enjoy solving complex challenges with open source technologies in a fast-paced, collaborative, and creative environment? We’re looking for an influential engineering leader to provide strategic direction on initiatives with significant impact to how we deliver software.
This role will be a leader within our Delivery Experience organization, with a commitment to making it easy to safely build and deploy the software that powers our business. This role provides a considerable opportunity for ingenuity, as this individual will work as a key leader of an exceptionally talented team to deliver cutting edge innovation at scale.
We are looking for an independent thinker who makes convincing, evidence-based decisions. The ideal candidate will devise clear roadmaps to innovation and is comfortable thinking strategically and diving deep; a vanguard leader who can identify opportunities and leverage the team to translate them into live solutions, used by thousands of internal developers.
What you will need to bring for this position:
- Experience building and leading a team in the development and rapid delivery of next-generation DevOps products and services
- A history of embracing and incubating emerging technology and open source products
- Ability to collaborate with various partners in the tech, startup and academic ecosystems
- The ability to seed and extend innovation into the greater organization to develop key talent, consistent with that of a leading technology company
- Exceptional management ability: manage software engineering team to deliver technology prototypes in support of enhancing the developer/delivery experience.
- Technical Leadership: the ability to inspire your teammates to deliver quality software solutions
- Recruit, motivate, mentor, and lead the best application engineering talent.
- Innovative thinking with a passion for problem-solving
- Ability to provide a logical framework to support conclusions and ideas.
- Great attitude, team player and energy amplifier. Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and technologies
- Take ideas and concepts, and visualize them in ways such that they are communicated effectively and compellingly for internal leaders, partners and customers
- Understanding of ways to lead a team developing in an Agile environment
- A robust portfolio of shipped code on GitHub or other open Source contributions and experience with scalable and highly resilient systems is a plus
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience building products developers want to use
- Provide technical leadership to a dynamic team throughout the software development life cycle
- Collaborate with architects, other teams, product owners, and software engineers to drive the evolution of our existing portfolio and build new capabilities
- Conduct design and code reviews to ensure compliance with standards
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Ensure adherence to continuous improvement practices as required to meet quality / time to market imperatives
- Maintain records to document program development and revisions
- Bachelor’s Degree or military experience
- At least 5 years' experience leading software engineering teams
- At least 5 years' experience with object-oriented programming, functional programming, and data design
- At least 5 years' experience in developing scalable applications consistent with architectural standards
- At least 3 years' experience with Cloud technologies
- At least 5 years' experience utilizing DevOps technologies to drive Continuous Delivery
- At least 5 years’ experience with RESTful APIs
- 8+ years' experience in software development
- 8+ years' experience in Agile practices
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).