Senior Risk ManagerApply now Job ID R45349 Updated date 04/02/2018 Location Toronto, Ontario
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Risk Manager
Capital One Canada is seeking an energetic, self-motivated Senior Manager to join the Business Risk Office leading the Controls and Risk Events Team. The Business Risk Office function is a horizontal first line-of-defense function that partners with other first line-of-defense teams in Canada to help them identify, understand and to make deliberate decisions about taking on and mitigating risks. We help Canadian Succeed with Credit by making sure that Capital One: prepares, prevents and recovers from breakdowns.
The Senior Manager for Controls and Risk Events will lead the design and implementation of Capital One Canada's control environment by leveraging control design: experience, enterprise guidance and best practices and by working with teams across Canada to guide them as they build controls into their processes. They will also oversee Capital One Canada's process for recovering from breakdowns which includes making customers whole and conducting Root Cause Analysis of the breakdowns to ensure that the right problem is identified and resolved.
In addition to these responsibilities this Senior Manager will directly manage a team of risk professionals and will be expected to analyze trends in data and performance to identify opportunities for improvement and strategic investment within the Business Risk Office and Across Canada.
Success in this position will rely heavily on working with teams across the Canada business and with enterprise experts and auditors. To accomplish this the Senior Manager for Controls and Risk Events needs to be constantly inquisitive asking people who set enterprise standards: What is the goal of this guidance? While also asking partners across the Canada Line of Business: What can I and the Business Risk Office do to help you be more successful?
Oversee the process for Governing Controls
- Leverage experience and expertise in control design to ensure that all key controls are effectively designed and operating
- Consult with teams across Canada as they seek to improve existing control environments or to build new ones for new products
Oversee the resolution of Risk Events (breakdowns) across Canada
- Ensure that customers are made whole in the event of a breakdown
- Help teams conducting recovery to achieve effective and speedy recovery
- Facilitate Root Cause Analysis for the biggest events to ensure that we learn and improve
Represent Canada with Enterprise Second Line-of-Defense teams
- Act as the Canada's intent lead for our compliance and regulatory system of record (PRIME)
- Collaborate with Second Line-of-Defense teams to ensure that Canada's size, scope and reliance on the enterprise is appropriately considered when setting guidance
Managing and Developing People
- Attract and retain great team members by demonstrating an ability to help your team to identify and achieve their development objectives
- Exemplify leadership by building the skills of a community of over 200 people in Canada who work with Controls and Risk Events
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 5 years of experience in Process Management, Project Management
- 3 years of experience in Risk Management, Audit, Compliance or Process Engineering
- 5 years of experience with management system that uses standardized methods for designing activities, managing performance and improving performance (ie Lean, Toyota Production System)
- 3 years of experience in an analytical function (eg Financial, Risk, Credit, Data Analysis)
Capital One Canada is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. We consider all qualified applicants and will meet the needs of those requiring reasonable accommodations.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).