Senior Manager- AccountingApply now Job ID R36067 Updated date 10/17/2017 Location Toronto, Ontario
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
This role reports to the Director, Domestic and Canada Card Accounting (based in Chicago), within the Product Controller’s organization and is responsible for the management of external financial reporting, the general ledger, compliance with accounting and regulatory standards through regulatory and business driven changes for the Canada Branch of Capital One Bank.
The role maintains key relationships with US and UK Controller's Group, the Canada LOB and LOB Finance teams to ensure the delivery of timely and accurate financial reporting and support both Canada and Enterprise-wide risk activities. This role will also have a reporting relationship with the Canada CFO and will be an important part of the Canada Finance Leadership team.
• Set the strategic agenda for the Canada Controller’s Group and determine the appropriate roles, responsibilities and interactions between Finance teams based in the US, UK and Canada with the Canada Controller’s Group.
• Manage a team of 5 accountants directly and indirectly. Work with the team to identify new opportunities and challenges to help develop shape their careers.
• Champion an appropriate control environment across the Canada Finance Team and across the Canada LOB, where appropriate.
• Management of key relationship with Head of International Tax to facilitate effective tax planning and reporting for the Canada Branch.
Accounting, Reporting & Projects
• Accountable for the review and timely issuance of key financial reporting including the Annual F/S and regulatory reporting sent to OSFI.
• Oversee and support the month end journal entries, reconciliations and actuals variance analytics processes.
• Lead the Canada Finance team through changes to US GAAP accounting policies such as CECL as well as ensure compliance with changes to IFRS for external Canadian financial reporting eg. IFRS 9, IFRS 15 etc.
• Identify, and support the resolution to, material accounting and regulatory impacts from complex business and finance projects, such as legal entity structure changes or upstream process automation by partnering with key internal and external stakeholders.
• Partner with Agile/Pod project team to deliver critical business strategy for Canada.
Canada Finance Risk Office
• Ensure appropriate oversight of Finance activities outsourced to the US, UK and India and report risks and issues to Canada Senior Leadership Team on a monthly basis.
• Oversee and support the risk activities of the Canada Finance Risk Office including: RCSAs, Regulatory and Operational risk and control monitoring / testing, SOP Management, Data Quality Standards, BCP, IRP compliance and Risk issue/event reporting.
• Manage and support internal and external audits
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 5 years of experience in audit, accounting, and financial reporting
- At least 3 years of experience leading and developing a team
- Master’s Degree
- CPA, CMA, or CA
- External or internal audit experience in the Financial Services
- Proven success in applying advanced technical accounting and regulatory knowledge.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain an environment of strong controls & regulatory focus.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).