Principal Compliance AdvisorApply now Job ID R51975 Updated date 07/13/2018 Location Toronto, Ontario
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
About Capital One Canada
Capital One is more than you think. We’ve been in Canada for over 20 years, and have supported millions of Canadians with their credit needs. We are passionate about helping our communities keep up and succeed in this rapidly-changing world. At Capital One Canada we are building an environment that celebrates diverse talent and nurtures the leaders of tomorrow. Oh yeah, and we’re consistently listed on the Best Places to Work in Canada!
About the Compliance Team
As a Compliance Advisor at Capital One, you’ll be part of our Compliance team that will value your perspective. You will be encouraged to provide regulatory advice and work with business stakeholders and regulators on ensuring business strategies, plans and initiatives are executed and delivered in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
On any given day, you’ll be:
- Reviewing and confirming all complaints identified are appropriately reported to our regulators, including the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC), Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI), and Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)
- Reviewing and analyzing potential exceptions with business groups to identify regulatory reporting requirements
- Preparing reports and working with senior management to respond to enquiries and examinations involving regulatory and administrative agencies
- Communicating and monitoring new/amended regulations, emerging issues, voluntary codes of conduct and public commitments to business unit stakeholders and ensuring complaint reporting program is current and compliant with applicable regulatory reporting requirements
- Collaborating with all areas of the business including: Operations, Customer Servicing, and the Business Risk Office
- Providing effective challenge to processes and results and driving customer focused solutions
- Continuously evaluate the regulatory reporting process to ensure that day to day tasks are being carried out in the most effective and efficient manner
- Monitor and report on process effectiveness (i.e., Key Performance Indicator’s)
- Develop and maintain comprehensive documentation to support knowledge management and audit requirements
- Advise business unit stakeholders on application of regulatory requirements, such as: new products, process development, development of controls and monitoring, remediation/corrective action of breakdowns, and change in law or regulation
- Understand expectations from external entities such as auditors and regulators, and partner with business on ensuring compliance
The ideal Candidate will be:
- Curious – you ask why, you explore, you’re not afraid to challenge. You possess a practical business sense and a solution focused approach
- Able to thrive in an agile, fast paced environment
- Autonomous, and happy to not be micromanaged
- A Wrangler – you learn how to navigate the organization and can adapt to change
- A Coach, and not a referee. You are a strong relationship builder who has experience with influencing and consulting with a diverse group of business stakeholders.
- $5,000/ year education budget
- Competitive RSP match
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Leave your suit behind, we encourage comfortable attire
- Bachelors’ Degree
- At least 5 years of experience working in financial services or other highly-regulated industry
- At least 5 years of experience working in a compliance, legal, or audit role
- At least 5 years of experience working with Canadian banking legislation, laws, industry standards, and regulations as they apply to the financial services sector
- Good understanding of Bank Act, voluntary codes of conduct, public commitments, FCAC-consumer protection and other consumer protection laws
- Experience working with regulators (FCAC, OFSI, OCC)
- Legal degree, CPA or accounting background, or MBA
- Strong written and verbal business communication skills
- Possess sound judgment and excellent analytical skills
- Bilingual (English and French)
- Ability to adopt a risk-based approach in making recommendations to implement practical policies and procedures
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction and in a team environment
- Willingness to continuously upgrade skills and keep informed of compliance and regulatory changes and policy updates through ongoing completion of education programs, and attending internal and external seminars and training sessions
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).