Principal AccountantApply now Job ID R41209 Updated date 01/30/2018 Location Toronto, Ontario
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Principal Associate, Canada Card Controller
Are you a forward thinking analytical genius who thrives on being a key contributor in a high energy financial services organization? Do you want to work in a business-casual, collaborative environment where your contributions are recognized, successes are elevated and effort is rewarded? Our accountants are masters of accounting principles with a flawless understanding of the full end to end accounting process. You will be surrounded by intellectually curious accounting professionals every day, all with the end goal of creating a seamless, well managed client experience. As the demand for skilled accountants is at an all time high – Capital One can provide an environment where you can excel in your career while still maintaining a work life balance that others will desire. We nurture a work environment where people with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds, guided by our shared Values, come together to make Capital One a great company – and a great place to work.
You and Capital One – Better. Together.
This team member will have responsibilities associated with the month-end closing, reporting and analysis, and reconciliations of Canada Credit Card business and an opportunity to be a People Manager. The team member will also participate in projects, including conversions related to newly acquired partnerships, new products, adoption of new accounting and Regulatory guidance, and other ad-hoc projects.
- Month-end and quarter-end close and related reporting and analysis
- Engage dialogue with the Accounting Policy Team when needed regarding accounting treatment
- Monthly portfolio financial performance analysis
- Manage Regulatory Reporting and Relationship
- Responsible for external audit
- Oversight of the monthly management fee charged
- Analyze monthly results and interface with Finance and Business for additional insight on performance trends
- Review and approve assigned account reconciliations
- Interface with Agile POD team as needed
- Perform ad hoc requests as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- at least 4 years of experience in Accounting, Finance or Audit
- CPA or MBA with Public Accounting Experience and IFRS and USGAAP knowledge
- 5 years of Accounting experience in Financial Services
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain an environment of strong controls
- Understanding of Card product accounting and financial statement analysis
- Proficiency in personal computer skills and general financial system knowledge, with particular emphasis on PeopleSoft general ledger, Hyperion Essbase, Excel and other MS Office software
- Excellent written and verbal communication, problem solving, and collaboration skills
- Self-starter with an ability to take a proactive approach to responsibilities
Capital One Canada is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. We consider all qualified applicants and will meet the needs of those requiring reasonable accommodations.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).