People Data ScientistApply now Job ID R37790 Updated date 11/27/2017 Location Toronto, Ontario
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
At Capital One, data is at the center of everything we do. When we launched as a startup we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 200 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making.
As a People Data Scientist at Capital One, you’ll be part of a team that’s leading the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale, using the latest technologies to unlock insights in our People data when combined with other internal and external data sources. The insights gleamed will help our Business leaders make information based decisions to help attract, nurture and grow Talent at Capital One.
On any given day, you’ll be:
- Writing scripts to clean and investigate large, messy structured and unstructured data sets.
- Integrating with internal and external data sources and APIs to discover interesting trends
- Building machine learning models (Linear and Logistic regression, Survival analysis, Gradient Boosting, Random Forest, etc.) from development, validation, through to deployment in production
- Designing rich data visualizations to communicate complex ideas to clients and/or SLT/BLT.
- Diving into the exciting world of RPA/AI (think chatbots, workbots, etc) technologies that is changing the future of work. Research and provide recommendations to help shape AI thinking in HR (dare to build a prototype…we are with you!)
The Ideal Candidate will be:
- Curious: You ask why, you explore, you're not afraid to blurt out your disruptive idea. You probably know Python, Scala, or R and are constantly exploring new open source tools, and hitting up stack overflow on a regular basis.
- A Wrangler: You know how to programmatically extract data from a database and an API, bring it through a transformation or two, and model it into a human-readable form (Matplotlib, d3 visualization, Tableau, etc.).
- Creative: Big, undefined problems and petabytes of data don't frighten you. You’re used to working with abstract data, and you love discovering new narratives in unmined territories.
- Proactive: You will want to share your knowledge with your peers and contribute back to inner/open source projects which you might consume.
- Business Intelligence: Partner with the business to provide consultancy and translate the business needs to design and develop tools, techniques, metrics, and dashboards for insights and data visualization
- Data Management: Drive an understanding and adherence to the principles of data quality management including metadata, lineage, and business definitions
- Bachelor’s Degree in a quantitative field
- At least 2 year of experience in open source programming languages for large scale data analysis (Python, R, or Scala)
- At least 2 year of experience with machine learning or predictive modeling (scikit-learn, H2O, xgboost, or TensorFlow).
- At least 3 year of experience with relational databases (Postgres, Redshift, MySQL) and programming in SQL
- At least 3 years’ experience in Python or R
- Master’s Degree or PhD
- Experience working with AWS (EC2, S3, Lambda, RDS, etc.)
- Experience working with advanced Git Workflows (Pull Requests, Code Reviews, Issues, and Branching)
- Experience writing unit tests and integrating with CICD tools (Jenkins, CircleCI, etc.)
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).