Legal SpecialistApply now Job ID R33719 Updated date 09/05/2017
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Legal Specialist – Capital One Canada Legal Department
At Capital One Canada, we're financial services mavericks who challenge the status quo. We continue to come up with innovative ways to do things while remaining true to our business goals. Our entrepreneurial spirit and drive to stand out in the industry has led us to become a Fortune 500 company, one of the top 50 employers in the GTA and one of Canada’s best places to work. It’s here you’ll find a fast-paced environment that values your collaborative, analytical and creative abilities.
Capital One’s Legal Department is comprised of a dynamic group of legal professionals who support Capital One’s Canadian business activities. The department advises on a broad range of business matters in a constantly changing and stimulating environment. The Legal Specialist will be responsible for managing a wide variety of initiatives within the department.
The Legal Specialist will be responsible for the following:
- Managing the development and filing of corporate disclosures, and relevant corporate governance activities;
- Reviewing and analyzing Powers of Attorney and other relevant customer documentation for compliance with laws and internal policies;
- Overseeing internal reporting of legal department issues and activities, including a knowledge management system;
- Working with internal legal counsel and business clients to improve existing business practices and procedures;
- Independently gathering internal documents and information relevant to litigation and law firms;
- Reviewing and analyzing incoming requests and complaints, and management of email Inbox; and performing necessary research to respond to complaints and external requests; and
- Supporting enhancement and implementation of effective processes to ensure compliance with policies and procedures relating to department activities.
Specific candidate competencies include, but are not limited to:
- Experience designing, implementing and supporting processes and controls to ensure compliance with applicable policies, procedures and legal requirements.
- Strong organizational skills with impeccable attention to detail.
- Ability and willingness to work as a team player, with comfort interacting with associates across departments and job levels.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Experience in managing complex processes and projects.
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills.
- Excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively with internal constituents to manage efficient processes and to get issues resolved across organizational boundaries.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, take on new responsibilities and handle novel issues is critical.
- Bachelor's Degree OR Paralegal Certificate
- At least one year of experience with an in-house legal department or law firm
- Ability to prioritize and manage a significant volume of work on a broad array of topics with multiple and simultaneous deadlines
- Ability to build collegial and effective relationships with business leaders, attorneys, paralegals, and project managers at all levels of the company
- Strong communication skills with the ability to influence others
- Licensed paralegal
- Fluent in French
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).