DevOps/Systems EngineerApply now Job ID R40355 Updated date 01/10/2018 Location Toronto, Ontario
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Do you love building tools to automate away those annoying manual processes? Does the thought of those tools taking off and empowering hundreds, if not thousands, of software and DevOps engineers give you goosebumps? Do you want to run all your infrastructure in the Cloud? Do you want to work on a team that cares deeply about software craftsmanship? A team that also has an opportunity to mentor, share knowledge and level up hundreds of engineers? How about doing this in an organization that sees DevOps and automation as a competitive advantage and having leadership that understands and supports this work? If this sounds interesting, we want to talk!
- Design and build tools with a strong focus on developer experience, engineering excellence and software craftsmanship.
- Take our Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery practice to the next level by leveraging and building OSS tools that run in the Cloud.
- Automate away routine and repetitive tasks with well written and well tested scripts and tools.
- Advocate, mentor, and level up DevOps best practices with the engineers you support through empathy and good communication skills. Teaching them to fish, not just giving them fish.
- Provide support for the Canada engineering teams by troubleshooting and resolving software, pipeline, and infrastructure related issues with an eye to automating those issues away.
- Help us advocate and expand software resiliency and chaos engineering.
- Explore and evaluate new and emerging software tools, technologies and practices.
- At least 4 years of experience building high quality software following software engineering best practices (well tested, CI/CD pipelines, SOLID principles, built with maintainability and extensibility in mind).
- At least 2 years of experience architecting and automating multi-tier infrastructure stacks that are well tested and resilient.
- At least 2 years of experience working in a continuous integration and continuous delivery environment.
- Hands-on experience with configuration management and infrastructure automation tools (Ansible/Chef/Puppet/etc and Terraform/CloudFormation/etc).
- Hands-on experience providing support to Engineers, i.e. troubleshooting failed builds, troubleshooting dev/qa/prod issues.
- Experience with Docker and container orchestrators like Kubernetes.
- Experience scripting/building internal tools that increase the productivity of other product teams.
- Proficiency on the command line with a good knowledge of various Linux utilities for debugging and automation purposes.
- At least 2 years of experience working with and managing Linux servers.
- Experience using and building continuous integration tools like Jenkins and Jenkins shared libraries.
- Working experience building, configuring and deploying applications to AWS.
- Experience in a variety of open source database technologies (Postgres, DynamoDB, InfluxDB, etc).
- Experience working in an Agile environment (Scrum/Kanban) managing own workload and tasks effectively through issue tracking systems (JIRA/GitHub/etc).
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Information Technology.
Capital One Canada is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. We consider all qualified applicants and will meet the needs of those requiring reasonable accommodations.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).