Specialty Underwriter & Portfolio Manager
Category Commercial Banking
Primary Address San Francisco, California
Overview201 Third Street (61049), United States of America, San Francisco, CaliforniaSpecialty Underwriter & Portfolio Manager
The Underwriting and Portfolio Management organization is responsible for working with internal partners to underwrite new transactions and manage the existing portfolio of loans. Our Underwriters and Portfolio Managers balance supporting the Commercial’s Bank’s growth and ensuring we have a scalable, well-managed business. This role supports Commercial Real Estate.
This position is expected to demonstrate subject matter expertise in credit risk management and to perform responsibilities independently. In addition to your own job duties, you may play a leadership role across deal teams by guiding and shaping more junior associates. You are trusted with the most complex transactions and solving unique problems because of your experience and job specific skills.
Primary underwriting responsibilities may include:
● Lead due diligence process and calls; evaluate industry research to draw relevant conclusions on material strengths, risks, and mitigants
● Assist less experienced team members in financial statement analysis and cash flow analysis
● Prepare and review financial models independently
● Operate in close partnership with the relationship manager in developing a Sponsor coverage model. This may include client meetings, client calls and negotiations. High client facing skills and customer facing acumen.
● Have or develop a deep market knowledge of a specified geographic coverage area. Have a broad understanding of CRE fundamentals in that area, these would include CRE trends, market metrics, as well as Sponsor preferences.
● Coordinate with deal team on appropriate structuring options or overrides to financial models
● Write and prepare all parts of the credit approval document; may review work of less experienced members of the team; begin to take a leadership role in conversations with internal partners
● Oversee closing process requirements; review closing memo
● Prepare term sheets, commitment letters and fee letters with minimal guidance; understand provisions of all credit documents and can provide rationale; negotiate credit docs with guidance
● Drive the overall deal process in a highly efficient and timely manner and lead communication with internal and external constituents; constructively improves deal process.
● Delegate spreading and risk ratings to analysts or contractor teams
Additional Responsibilities may include:
● Build relationships across different functions and the business to foster collaboration between partner groups
● Interact directly with customers to cultivate strong relationships while balancing risk and return
● Mentor and train rotational analysts and new hires
● Participate in internal initiatives to ensure the business is well-managed and operates efficiently
● Bachelor’s Degree or Military Experience
● At least 5 years of experience in credit underwriting or at least 5 years of experience in portfolio management or at least 5 years of experience in asset management
● Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or other relevant fields
● 7+ years of experience in credit underwriting or portfolio or asset management
● Previous leadership (informal or formal) experience with deal teams or analysts
● Strong knowledge across all property types of commercial real estate and financing structures including, but not limited to, construction and bridge loan facilities.
● Strong knowledge of legal matters pertaining to commercial real estate.
● Proficient in MS Office or Google Suite
● Proficient using in cash flow modeling using Argus
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
How We Hire
We take finding great coworkers pretty seriously.
Step 1 Apply
It only takes a few minutes to complete our application and assessment.
Step 2 Screen and Schedule
If your application is a good match you’ll hear from one of our recruiters to set up a screening interview.
Step 3 Interview(s)
Now’s your chance to learn about the job, show us who you are, share why you would be a great addition to the team and determine if Capital One is the place for you.
Step 4 Decision
The team will discuss — if it’s a good fit for us and you, we’ll make it official!
How to Pick the Perfect Career Opportunity
Overwhelmed by a tough career choice? Read these tips from Devon Rollins, Senior Director of Cyber Intelligence, to help you accept the right offer with confidence.
Your wellbeing is our priority
Our benefits and total compensation package is designed for the whole person. Caring for both you and your family.
Healthy Body, Healthy Mind
You have options and we have the tools to help you decide which health plans best fit your needs.
Save Money, Make Money
Secure your present, plan for your future and reduce expenses along the way.
Time, Family and Advice
Options for your time, opportunities for your family, and advice along the way. It’s time to BeWell.
Here’s how the team fits together. We’re big on growth and knowing who and how coworkers can best support you.
You don't have any pinned jobs right now
Want more jobs like this?
Set a Job Alert
Explore Your Options
Build the next generation of digital tools for our customers—we’re always innovating solutions.Explore 770 Jobs
Leverage technology in new and powerful ways to pioneer change, all in the pursuit of changing banking for good.Explore 866 Jobs
When our customers have questions about our products and services, they’ll turn to you.Explore 10 Jobs
Design and create future-forward products on a team of innovators helping to change banking for good.Explore 281 Jobs
Write code and crunch numbers, all in pursuit of developing models that solve problems—and make us a better bank.Explore 93 Jobs
Use your tech skills to stop cyber threats and help make banking safe and secure for our customers.Explore 18 Jobs
Help us tell our story by creating memorable digital experiences for our customers through your creativity and ingenuity.Explore 95 Jobs
Take your place on the front lines, representing our brand, problem solving and building relationships with the customersExplore 184 Jobs
Your outgoing personality and tech-savvy know-how can make all the difference for the customers that visit our cafés.Explore 34 Jobs
Use cutting-edge software, audit methodologies, and data science to help us make great business decisions.Explore 12 Jobs
Use your bold perspective and specialized skills to drive projects and implement financial strategies—challenging the way banking is done.Explore 72 Jobs
Deliver expert advice, superior products and best-in-class service to our commercial partners.Explore 74 Jobs
Your entrepreneurial mindset and expertise leads to one-of-a-kind service for every small business owner you assist.Explore 24 Jobs
Use your expertise and perspective to bring insights to the table so we can grow in the right ways.Explore 128 Jobs
Be on the frontlines of attracting, engaging and retaining top talent that’s helping us change banking for good.Explore 33 Jobs
Marketing and Communications
Help us tell our story, connect with customers and introduce our products and to the world.Explore 16 Jobs
Help us communicate how we’re changing banking for good, and ensure our brand is one of the most recognized in the industry.Explore 31 Jobs
Analyze, develop and test the strategies that pull insights from our data and move us forward.Explore 48 Jobs
Use your strategic and analytical skills to help solve major challenges and make both our business and banking, better.Explore 84 Jobs
Offer simple answers to complex questions, while helping both our team and customers thrive.Explore 67 Jobs
Move our innovations closer to reality by mitigating legal risk with your expertise and ability to advise on strategic business decisions.Explore 12 Jobs