Master Data EngineerApply now Job ID R72543 Updated date 06/18/2019 Location San Francisco, California
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
What you’ll do:
- Develop new ways to analyze and deliver experimentation on our site
- Discover, ingest, and incorporate new sources of streaming, batch, and API-based data into our platform to enhance the insights we get from running tests and expand the ways and properties on which we can test
- Promote and guide the team in the usage of data engineering best practices
- Experiment with new tools to streamline the development, testing, deployment, and running of our pipelines
- Learn and share by attending conferences and meetups
- Collaborate with other data engineering teams to improve the data engineering ecosystem and talent within Capital One
- Creatively solve problems when facing constraints, whether it is the number of developers, quality or quantity of data, compute power, storage capacity or just time
Some things that gets us excited:
- Someone who has been working in data engineering roles for a while now and has tips, tricks, and best practices to share
- Someone who understands that with every dataset or environment there are limitations, and can tell stories about how they have overcome those obstacles to get insights out of the data
- Someone who has been mentored in the past and is excited by the idea of passing on that same experience to others on your team
- Someone who has learned about tools and techniques to incorporate streaming data in data engineering pipelines, and is keen to dive deeper and put that knowledge into action
- Someone who has been able to use various languages and platforms to get things done, and has preferences but are not stubbornly tied to one set
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of Software Engineering experience
- At least 3 years of Data Engineering experience
- 2+ years of experience in Python
- 1+ year of experience with Spark
- 1+ year of AWS experience including Redshift, S3, EMR, and EC2
- Experience with Stream Processing
- Experience with Clickstream Analysis
- Experience in A/B Testing
- Understanding of frequentist or Bayesian statistics
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).