Creative Technology Lead - Physical Experience DesignApply now Job ID R77543 Updated date 06/10/2019 Location San Francisco, California
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Capital One is looking for a Creative Technology Lead for the Physical Experience Design (PXD) team!
The Physical Experience Design team creates interactive multi-sensory experiences to differentiate Capital One. Using physical storytelling techniques, we merge physical and digital mediums to build authentic connections and evoke visceral responses for customers and associates. We are a small, internal team at Capital One -- a part of the larger design organization called One Design.
The role you'll play:
- Lead overall technical design, development, and implementation of physical-digital applications using existing and emerging technologies to create interactive environments and objects
- Act as a key thought partner as part of the PXD leadership team
- Manage internal project teams and 3rd parties along multiple workstreams
- Develop complex applications using physical computing platforms (e.g. Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Google AIY kits, NVidia Xavier, etc.) and rapid prototyping tools (3D printer, laser cutter, soldering, circuit design, etc.)
- Write, design, test, implement, and debug and document applications, and create strategies to monitor project performance metrics and identify potential issues and solutions
Who you are:
- Human-centered. Someone with the ability and desire to work in all phases of a design process. You are genuinely interested in impacting people’s lives. You strive to know as much as you can about the people you are designing for and make decisions based on their needs.
- Collaborative. A team player who naturally elevates and supports others. You’re comfortable working with people who bring many different skills to the table, and can align your talents with theirs.
- A Storyteller. Able to develop clear and persuasive narratives about your work to share with a wide range of audiences, including designers, product, and business partners and stakeholders.
- Resourceful. You are scrappy in getting what you need and do not wait for it to come to you. You seek out connections and collaborations with other influencers that can assist in areas PXD is exploring.
- Results-oriented. You’re a prototyper who understands that success comes sooner with trial and error. You develop clear action plans and deliver solutions.
- Flexible. You know that projects can rapidly pivot. You are adaptable and maintain a positive outlook.
- An Idea Generator. You can brainstorm fluidly with teams and expand on other people’s ideas. You are a great conceptualizer and act as a positive force in driving the practice.
- At least 4 years of experience in one of the following: physical experience design, industrial design, or product design
- Master's Degree and at least 4 years of relevant job experience, or Bachelor's Degree and at least 6 years of relevant job experience, or at least 10 years of relevant job experience
- Experience leading the full lifecycle of a project from conception through execution
- Physical Computing (e.g. Arduino/Raspberry Pi, Google AIY kits, NVidia Xavier)
- Presentation experience to technical and non-technical audiences
- Familiarity with creating physical 3D prototypes using digital fabrication tools (e.g. 3D Printer, laser cutter, CNC).
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).