Backend Engineer (Java, Scala)Apply now Job ID R70504 Updated date 03/12/2019 Location San Francisco, California
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
About our group:
● We’re a growing group of Software Engineers, DevOps, Data Scientists and Product Managers
● We own 4 internal products with direct/high impact on Capital One customers, centered around credit card transactions (real-time, high volume, low latency, strict SLAs)
● We own our deployments (ie: we do our DevOps)
● We use a combination of service-oriented and event-driven architectures
● Our tech stack: AWS (Lambdas, ECS, RDS, Kinesis, EMR, ElastiCache, S3, etc), Scala/Akka, Java, Python, Github, Kafka, Spark, Snowflake, Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, etc.
As a Software Engineer, your responsibilities will be:
● Delivering software components while working in collaboration with the product.
● Designing solutions, writing and testing code, automating tests and deployment.
● Enforcing existing process guidelines, driving new processes/guidelines/team rules.
● Following and advocating for engineering best practices.
● Raising the game of your teammates in all areas.
● Participating fully in the Agile Scrum process including speaking up and giving your opinion.
● Picking up new technologies and pitching in on story tasks (design, code, test, CI/CD, deploy, etc).
● Bachelor’s Degree or military experience
● At least 3 years of software development experience
● At least 2 years of programming experience with Java
● At least 2 years of experience with RESTful Web-services
● 3+ years of building highly available, scalable, lossless distributed systems serving huge data at a minimum latency with high throughput.
● 2+ years of experience building and deploying applications on cloud – AWS
● 2+ years of experience with Scala
● 2+ years of experience with Apache Kafka, Apache Spark
● 2+ years of experience designing/architecting Distributed Systems
● 1+ years of experience with Akka and/or Reactive Programing
● 1+ years of experience with Functional Programing principles
● 1+ years of experience with streaming / pubsub
● 1+ years of experience with Graph Database concepts
● 1+ years of experience with Machine Learning concepts
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).