API Product Manager - PrototypingApply now Job ID R13532 Updated date 11/02/2016 Locations San Francisco, California
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Capital One is seeking a Product Manager to lead the API vision and roadmap for select, forward looking APIs supporting the DevExchange Platform. You will help empower internal and external stakeholders to build world-class experiences on top of Capital One APIs and guide our businesses to understand and fully leverage APIs as part of a platform business.
The right candidate will be able to integrate solid product and business understanding with deep knowledge of APIs, and building great developer experiences. We need a strong API Product Manager with experience leading software teams and influencing business and technical leaders.
- Work on a team with product engineers to prototype and build modern public APIs based on feedback from external and internal stakeholders
- Manage the product and feature backlog for external APIs being tested by your team
- Engage with external developers, product managers and consumers to identify and prioritize desirable external APIs and products that can be tested for use on DevExchange
- Understand the long term vision and key drivers of select businesses at Capital One and map that vision to a foundational set of API capabilities
- Analyze, define, and communicate API product roadmaps that align with business objectives
- Lead API design reviews to ensure interface alignment with business intent and usability standards
- Work with API designers and cross-functional teams to translate business needs into API interface & functional requirements
- Evangelize new API-driven business and operational models that align with the business vision
- Work directly with internal and external API consumers on both the business and technical side to understand needs, gaps and opportunities
- Identify and evangelize additional opportunities to build great APIs throughout the enterprise
- Contribute to and drive Capital One additional enterprise API initiatives
- Remain continuously informed of emerging API trends and engaged in the external API community
Here’s what you’ll need to be successful:
- You have a passion for APIs and elegant design
- You understand software architecture and agile development patterns
- You can communicate business requirements to technical teams and vice versa.
- You can create an API prototype to demonstrate its value and power to customers.
- You can work independently with unwavering professionalism.
- You can positively represent our brand.
- You feel at ease in complex environments.
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 3 years of Product Management or Software Development experience
- At least 3 years of experience working with development teams in a fast-paced environment
- Great translator; able to speak the language of technology and of business teams
- Experience building, consuming, documenting or supporting web APIs (ideally all of the above!)
- Professional API Product Management experience
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- 5+years in Product Management
- 4+years of team management experience
- 4+years of experience managing client or vendor relationships
- Excellent presentation skills, comfortable presenting to senior leadership
- Strong attention to detail, combined with ability to see and explain the big picture
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, change, and shifting priorities
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com.
All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).