Software Engineer, Senior ManagerApply now Job ID R64955 Updated date 01/22/2019 Location Richmond, Virginia; McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Bored of rinse-and-repeat? Then we have just the challenge for you.
We have a unique opportunity for a highly motivated, skilled engineer to enhance a software framework that solves unique Capital One business problems that industry tools cannot, enabling engineers to build resilient, self-healing and feature-rich APIs that deliver on large-scale business objective across every line of business at Capital One. Most notable customer is Capital One's public DevExchange https://developer.capitalone.com/, which is powered by APIs built on our software framework. Chassis Framework is a software framework to help Capital One engineers build feature-rich APIs. Chassis includes built-in features that solve for common needs like audit logging and encryption so that engineers can focus on building their business logic.
We see opportunity to improve with our customers' ever-changing needs and endeavor to build smaller microservices, improve startup time, enhance resiliency and self-healing, so that our offerings continue to be relevant and competitive. And we embark on new initiatives like leveraging reactive programming advantages to improve memory efficiency and building server-less features as a more cost-effective alternative and optimizing for Kubernetes containerized applications. We are looking for someone who has created a cloud-native, highly-distributed solutions using Java or any JVM-based language (Kotlin, Closure, NodeJS) to build performant, scalable microservices.
Qualities of a successful framework engineer:
You have a growth mindset and see opportunity in changing customer needs.
You are motivated by challenges and inspired to build innovative solutions that solve customers' problems. You are a passionate engineer with courage for experimentation with drive and focus to pull the thread through to completion. You explore technologies on your free time, reading up on new Java features in DZone, or scanning InfoQ for the latest Java trends, or picking out impactful changes from the AWS News Blog.
You follow coding best practices and have experience contributing to OSS projects and embrace the open source way. If you take pride in your work, love solving challenging problems, and genuinely care about improving the lives of other engineers, then join this organization that values talent and potential. Our tech stack includes Java 8+, Spring, Spring Boot, Jersey, Docker, AWS, Jenkins, Github, and a variety of other DevOps tools.
- Designing and developing quality code, following coding best practices and adhering to the GitHub fork and pull request model for collaboration
- Collaborating with other platform tech leads to ensure integrated end-to-end design and delivery
- Owning activities that raise test coverage, code quality, and address security vulnerabilities and OSS policy license violations
- Identifying gaps and taking actions to completion
- Mentoring other junior engineers
- Presenting and evangelizing at customer engagement forums
- Supporting customers in their use of the framework
- Bachelor's Degree or Military Experience
- At least 8 years of experience in software development including design, coding, testing, and support.
- At least 5 years of experience using Java and Spring technologies in developing server-side applications and RESTful APIs.
- At least 3 years of experience working with AWS
- At least 2 years of experience leading software engineering teams
- At least 3 years with UNIX/Linux commands and shell scripting.
- 3+ years of experience in Cloud technologies: AWS, Azure, OpenStack, Docker, Ansible, Chef or Terraform
- 3+ years of experience in Build and CICD technologies: lSVN, GitHub, Maven, Jenkins, Nexus or Sonar
- 3+ years of experience in Quality Assurance technologies: ATDD, Selenium, Cucumber, JUnit, SoapUI or Postman
- 3+ years of experience in Unix Shell Scripting
- 3+ years experience with Agile methodologies: Scrum, SAFe, and Kanban
- 3+ years of experience using scripting languages: Ruby, Python or Perl
- 3+ years of experience with Open-Source or public GitHub projects
- Certified in Java, Spring or AWS technologies
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).