Primary Address Richmond, Virginia
OverviewWest Creek 1 (12071), United States of America, Richmond, VirginiaLegal Specialist
The Legal Department’s Card Litigation Team is seeking an Associate to assist in managing defensive credit card litigation for Capital One. The position will report to a lawyer responsible for managing Capital One’s defensive Card litigation portfolio across the United States. This role will involve interaction with internal business associates and with internal and external legal counsel.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Reviewing and analyzing defensive litigation matters
- Analyzing complaints, significant matters, motions, discovery, disputes, and fraud claims
- Performing research to independently gather internal documents and information relevant to cases
- Maintaining litigation case files, including pleadings, discovery, and correspondence
- Supporting internal and external legal counsel in identifying relevant account information and developing litigation strategies
- Managing interactions with external counsel and performing necessary research to respond to complaints, counterclaims and discovery requests
- Working a high volume caseload, managing competing priorities, and meeting litigation deadlines
- Working cases in an efficient and effective way to mitigate risk for the company
- Working with internal legal counsel and/or business clients to improve existing business practices and procedures
The successful candidate will have:
- 3-5 years of paralegal experience with an in-house legal department or law firm, with preference to a background in consumer finance or financial services litigation
- Knowledge of consumer finance laws, collection laws and regulations
- If an internal candidate, knowledge of Capital One’s systems of record
- Excellent problem solving, judgment, and decision-making skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication and influencing skills, both written and verbal
- The ability to work in a fast paced environment, properly prioritize workload, and meet litigation deadlines.
- The desire to be an engagement multiplier and ensure the success of the broader team
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent certification
- At least 2 years of paralegal experience with either an in-house legal department or a law firm
- At least 2 years of experience using either Google Workspace (formerly G Suite – Gmail and Google Docs and Drive) or Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- 1+ years of experience managing external legal counsel
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects, and meet deadlines under pressure
- Capability to anticipate and resolve problems quickly and independently
- Skilled in planning and execution of special projects during time-critical assignments
- Decisive and direct, yet flexible in responding to the constant change of an organization
- Enthusiastic, creative, and willing to assume increased responsibility
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
How We Hire
We take finding great coworkers pretty seriously.
Step 1 Apply
It only takes a few minutes to complete our application and assessment.
Step 2 Screen and Schedule
If your application is a good match you’ll hear from one of our recruiters to set up a screening interview.
Step 3 Interview(s)
Now’s your chance to learn about the job, show us who you are, share why you would be a great addition to the team and determine if Capital One is the place for you.
Step 4 Decision
The team will discuss — if it’s a good fit for us and you, we’ll make it official!
How to Pick the Perfect Career Opportunity
Overwhelmed by a tough career choice? Read these tips from Devon Rollins, Senior Director of Cyber Intelligence, to help you accept the right offer with confidence.
Your wellbeing is our priority
Our benefits and total compensation package is designed for the whole person. Caring for both you and your family.
Healthy Body, Healthy Mind
You have options and we have the tools to help you decide which health plans best fit your needs.
Save Money, Make Money
Secure your present, plan for your future and reduce expenses along the way.
Time, Family and Advice
Options for your time, opportunities for your family, and advice along the way. It’s time to BeWell.
Here’s how the team fits together. We’re big on growth and knowing who and how coworkers can best support you.
Director, Regulatory RelationsMcLean, Virginia
Payments Senior CounselRichmond, Virginia
Commercial Bank Treasury Management, Commercial Card and B2B Payments Transaction Business CounselBethesda, Maryland
Director, Regulatory Advisory, Technology and CybersecurityMcLean, Virginia
You don't have any pinned jobs right now
Want more jobs like this?
Set a Job Alert
Explore Your Options
Build the next generation of digital tools for our customers—we’re always innovating solutions.Explore 436 Jobs
Leverage technology in new and powerful ways to pioneer change, all in the pursuit of changing banking for good.Explore 539 Jobs
When our customers have questions about our products and services, they’ll turn to you.Explore 6 Jobs
Design and create future-forward products on a team of innovators helping to change banking for good.Explore 350 Jobs
Write code and crunch numbers, all in pursuit of developing models that solve problems—and make us a better bank.Explore 64 Jobs
Use your tech skills to stop cyber threats and help make banking safe and secure for our customers.Explore 49 Jobs
Help us tell our story by creating memorable digital experiences for our customers through your creativity and ingenuity.Explore 83 Jobs
Take your place on the front lines, representing our brand, problem solving and building relationships with the customersExplore 172 Jobs
Your outgoing personality and tech-savvy know-how can make all the difference for the customers that visit our cafés.Explore 32 Jobs
Use cutting-edge software, audit methodologies, and data science to help us make great business decisions.Explore 12 Jobs
Use your bold perspective and specialized skills to drive projects and implement financial strategies—challenging the way banking is done.Explore 87 Jobs
Deliver expert advice, superior products and best-in-class service to our commercial partners.Explore 45 Jobs
Your entrepreneurial mindset and expertise leads to one-of-a-kind service for every small business owner you assist.Explore 19 Jobs
Use your expertise and perspective to bring insights to the table so we can grow in the right ways.Explore 151 Jobs
Be on the frontlines of attracting, engaging and retaining top talent that’s helping us change banking for good.Explore 62 Jobs
Marketing and Communications
Help us tell our story, connect with customers and introduce our products and to the world.Explore 15 Jobs
Help us communicate how we’re changing banking for good, and ensure our brand is one of the most recognized in the industry.Explore 27 Jobs
Analyze, develop and test the strategies that pull insights from our data and move us forward.Explore 25 Jobs
Use your strategic and analytical skills to help solve major challenges and make both our business and banking, better.Explore 95 Jobs
Offer simple answers to complex questions, while helping both our team and customers thrive.Explore 83 Jobs
Move our innovations closer to reality by mitigating legal risk with your expertise and ability to advise on strategic business decisions.Explore 18 Jobs