Small Business Underwriter II - Small Business Banking Credit Review & Underwriting
Category Risk Management
Primary Address Plano, Texas
OverviewPlano 2 (31062), United States of America, Plano, TexasSmall Business Underwriter II - Small Business Banking Credit Review & Underwriting
***Candidates must live within 100 miles driving distance of one of the HUB locations based in Plano, TX, McLean, VA, Richmond, VA, Melville, NY, or New York, NY to be considered.***
We're looking for driven individuals that combine great credit discipline with balanced decision making and customer focus to join our Small Business Lending team as a Small Business Underwriter.
The Small Business Banking Underwriter II role underwrites and approves small business loan requests with Maximum Potential Exposure of up to $5 Million (new loan requests or renewals), and maintains up to $500,000 individual commercial loan authority for secured and unsecured loans.
As an experienced member of a high performing team, Underwriter II individuals are expected to serve as subject matter experts, help pursue the Small Business Banking Lending agenda with special projects, and help coach other individuals in the team (e.g. Underwriter I and Credit Analyst roles).
We need underwriters that not only bring solid commercial underwriting experience to continue to push the underwriting team’s capabilities and high rigor in credit risk management; but also are innovative and adaptive to the needs of this dynamic space.
· Underwrites, performs renewals or reviews of loans up to $5MM.
· Underwrites and approves, conditions, or declines new loan requests, renewals and annual reviews up to the limit of his/her commercial loan authority in accordance with Capital One Bank loan policy and portfolio performance objectives. Maintains up to $500,000 in commercial loan authority for secured and unsecured loans.
· Underwrites and then recommends approval on loan requests that are in excess of his/her commercial loan authority. These requests are submitted to either an Underwriting Manager or Credit Officer for final approval.
· Provides outstanding service to business bankers and branch managers. Works with Small Business Bankers in structuring loan requests in a manner which will best mitigate lending risks while meeting borrower needs.
· Delivers a great overall customer experience working closely with the Business Loan Advocates that are accountable of the end to end loan process from application to funding.
· Recommends commercial loan risks rating grades as part of the loan underwriting process, annual reviews, other interim reviews.
· Ensures appropriate application of all bank and line of business policies and procedures; supporting and driving adherence to regulatory compliance requirements.
· Is proactive about identifying and delivering improvements in our Small Business policy, underwriting, and/or risk management, and performs special project work as appropriate.
· Contributes to department training. Helps coach other individuals in the team (e.g. Underwriter I and Credit Analyst roles).
Work at Home Technology Requirements:
· A secure home office environment that is free from background noise and distractions
· A reliable private internet connection that is not supplied by use cellular data (hot spot)
· Cable or fiber connections are preferred
· Internet service download speeds must be at least 5 mbps, with 10+ mbps preferred - check your download speed using a speed test. A sample one can be found here. To test your home internet from your personal computer at home, type www.speedtest.net into the web browser of your personal computer.
· Sustained ability to maintain latency less than 250 ms in voice calls is required
· Hard wired connectivity is preferred, any use of wireless connectivity must be Private (non-public) and password protected through WPA2-PSK (AES) encryption. If you have any questions about your encryption, please consult with your internet provider
· A private network is password protected where you have ownership or line of site to every device on the network
· Capital One reserves the right to request proof of internet provider, speed and service package from the associate
· Requirements are subject to change, as new systems and technology is delivered. Capital One reserves the right to modify internet service requirements with sixty (60) days notice.
Work at Home Living Requirements:
· Candidates must live within approximately 100 miles driving distance of Manhattan, NY(10171), Melville, NY (11747), Plano, TX (75024), Richmond, VA(23238), or McLean,VA (22102), and be comfortable coming in person whenever required with no less than 24 hours notice.
· If you are unable to attain the required Capital One Work at Home compatible internet access or you live beyond 125 miles of the specified hub site, Capital One reserves the right to rescind this offer.
· At least 5 years of experience in credit administration, loan underwriting, commercial lending or a combination
· Bachelor's Degree
· Completion of a formal credit training or credit underwriting
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
The minimum and maximum full-time annual salaries for this role are listed below, by location. Please note that this salary information is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these locations, and refers to the amount Capital One is willing to pay at the time of this posting. Salaries for part-time roles will be prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly worked.Location is New York City- $142,979 and $168,683 for Small Business Underwriter II
Candidates hired to work in other locations will be subject to the pay range associated with that location, and the actual annualized salary amount offered to any candidate at the time of hire will be reflected solely in the candidate’s offer letter.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
How We Hire
We take finding great coworkers pretty seriously.
Step 1 Apply
It only takes a few minutes to complete our application and assessment.
Step 2 Screen and Schedule
If your application is a good match you’ll hear from one of our recruiters to set up a screening interview.
Step 3 Interview(s)
Now’s your chance to learn about the job, show us who you are, share why you would be a great addition to the team and determine if Capital One is the place for you.
Step 4 Decision
The team will discuss — if it’s a good fit for us and you, we’ll make it official!
How to Pick the Perfect Career Opportunity
Overwhelmed by a tough career choice? Read these tips from Devon Rollins, Senior Director of Cyber Intelligence, to help you accept the right offer with confidence.
Your wellbeing is our priority
Our benefits and total compensation package is designed for the whole person. Caring for both you and your family.
Healthy Body, Healthy Mind
You have options and we have the tools to help you decide which health plans best fit your needs.
Save Money, Make Money
Secure your present, plan for your future and reduce expenses along the way.
Time, Family and Advice
Options for your time, opportunities for your family, and advice along the way. It’s time to BeWell.
Here’s how the team fits together. We’re big on growth and knowing who and how coworkers can best support you.
You don't have any pinned jobs right now
Want more jobs like this?
Set a Job Alert
Explore Your Options
Build the next generation of digital tools for our customers—we’re always innovating solutions.Explore 613 Jobs
Leverage technology in new and powerful ways to pioneer change, all in the pursuit of changing banking for good.Explore 663 Jobs
Design and create future-forward products on a team of innovators helping to change banking for good.Explore 82 Jobs
Write code and crunch numbers, all in pursuit of developing models that solve problems—and make us a better bank.Explore 26 Jobs
Use your tech skills to stop cyber threats and help make banking safe and secure for our customers.Explore 32 Jobs
Help us tell our story by creating memorable digital experiences for our customers through your creativity and ingenuity.Explore 17 Jobs
Take your place on the front lines, representing our brand, problem solving and building relationships with the customersExplore 160 Jobs
Your outgoing personality and tech-savvy know-how can make all the difference for the customers that visit our cafés.Explore 25 Jobs
Use cutting-edge software, audit methodologies, and data science to help us make great business decisions.Explore 17 Jobs
Use your bold perspective and specialized skills to drive projects and implement financial strategies—challenging the way banking is done.Explore 47 Jobs
Deliver expert advice, superior products and best-in-class service to our commercial partners.Explore 18 Jobs
Your entrepreneurial mindset and expertise leads to one-of-a-kind service for every small business owner you assist.Explore 16 Jobs
Use your expertise and perspective to bring insights to the table so we can grow in the right ways.Explore 69 Jobs
Be on the frontlines of attracting, engaging and retaining top talent that’s helping us change banking for good.Explore 14 Jobs
Help us communicate how we’re changing banking for good, and ensure our brand is one of the most recognized in the industry.Explore 12 Jobs
Analyze, develop and test the strategies that pull insights from our data and move us forward.Explore 30 Jobs
Use your strategic and analytical skills to help solve major challenges and make both our business and banking, better.Explore 26 Jobs
Offer simple answers to complex questions, while helping both our team and customers thrive.Explore 11 Jobs
Move our innovations closer to reality by mitigating legal risk with your expertise and ability to advise on strategic business decisions.Explore 10 Jobs