Editorial Content WriterApply now Job ID R69810 Updated date 03/06/2019 Location Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Editorial Content Writer
Our Auto Content Team is hiring a writer to support our editorial content marketing efforts. You’ll pitch, research and write strong creative pieces that help strengthen the perception of our brand and educate our customers about all angles of the car-buying process. While a journalism background is desired, the ideal candidate is a strategic thinker, creative problem solver and has experience with marketing concepts. A working knowledge of various aspects of the automotive or financial realm is as important as a strong desire to continuously learn. You’ll have the opportunity to help build our content efforts from the ground up. We’re looking for the right mix of content writing, marketing know-how and creativity.
- Be a journalist at heart—this means you have experience pitching story ideas, as well as researching, writing and editing. Come with your own sources, or have the ability to find sources for your stories.
- Be comfortable writing long-form content—working from a brief to conceptualize and execute strategically sound, creative ideas.
- Have experience creating work that persuasively communicates marketing objectives to the end customer.
- Understand how to speak brand and marketing. We want someone who sees the bigger picture and helps others see it too.
- Be able to brainstorm with the Auto Content Team to generate original ideas and creative concepts.
- Be self-organized and able to manage multiple deadlines on numerous, concurrent projects.
- Have strong presentation skills—you will be expected to articulate and sell your work.
- Consistently deliver quality work on time.
- Portfolio demonstrates industry and conceptual diversity, examples should be from a variety of channels and represent different types of writing, ranging from awareness marketing to socially-oriented and educational editorial content. Work should show evidence of “thinking outside the box” while achieving business goals.
Additional skills that will help you succeed:
- You have a positive attitude and work well in an Editor and Writer partnership.
- You have experience contributing to a strategic process.
- You are just as comfortable writing a clever headline as you are with a longer article.
- A clear understanding of tone and the ability to quickly adapt your writing style.
- An understanding of the importance of creative strategy, how to use it to create powerful work, and the ability to clearly present it to others for buy-in.
- The ability to handle multiple projects at once and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Writing portfolio should be submitted with resume. Diversity of work is key. We are interested in seeing produced content, editorial clips as well as some marketing/advertising work.
- Experience writing about personal finance and the auto industry.
- An eye toward and experience with short-format video.
- Innate understanding of SEO concepts and best practices
- Experience with using data analytics and metrics to inform editorial strategy
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of writing experience
- At least 3 years of experience writing long-form content for the web
- 3 years of experience in a marketing or advertising setting
- 2 years of experience writing educational or automotive content
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).