Senior Manager, Senior Counsel – Commercial Bank LitigationApply now Job ID R90082 Updated date 01/10/2020 Location New York, New York
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
The Role and the Team:
A great opportunity exists for an experienced professional to join the legal team for Capital One’s Litigation Team as a Senior Manager, Senior Counsel on the Commercial Bank Litigation team. The Litigation team is a dynamic group of legal professionals who provide a variety of litigation support for Capital One businesses. More specifically, the Commercial Bank Litigation team provides litigation support and advice to over a dozen different commercial lines of business including, but not limited to, Corporate Banking, Energy Finance, HealthCare Finance, Real Estate Finance, Treasury, Commercial Card and a Broker Dealer.
The Senior Manager, Senior Counsel will be responsible for the following:
· Managing litigation, subpoenas, investigations, and pre-litigation issues related to a variety of Capital One’s Commercial Bank products, services, and customers;
· Providing pre-litigation deal support and advice on cutting edge bank products and complex financing transactions;
· Working with a variety of Capital One functions including, among others, legal, risk, credit, compliance, corporate communications, government affairs to mitigate risk to the Commercial Bank and continually improve processes and procedures;
· Working closely with restructuring and special assets team to help mitigate risk and losses in connection with distressed assets and ability to manage bankruptcy and restructuring as necessary.
· Written and oral reporting and briefing of legal and business leaders on key matters and issues;
· Engagement and management of outside counsel;
· Budget forecasting;
· Other tasks as needed by the legal department or business.
Specific candidate competencies include, but are not limited to:
· Strong analytical, and oral and written communication skills, with the ability to influence others.
· The ability to prioritize and manage a significant volume of work on a broad array of topics with multiple and simultaneous deadlines is critical.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
· Ability and willingness to prepare top notch written materials and power points as part of general case management and reporting as well as briefing and communicating with key constituents;
· Ability and willingness to work as a team player to create and manage processes, to get issues resolved across organizational boundaries, and to build collegial and effective relationships with business leaders, attorneys, paralegals, project managers and administrative assistants at all levels of the company.
· Strong organizational skills with impeccable attention to detail.
· Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
· Ability to manage complex processes and projects.
· Juris Doctor Degree
· Admission to the State Bar in New York
· At least 5years experience with an in-house legal department or at least 5 years experience in a law firm or at least 5 years of combined experience within an in-house legal department and law firm
· 7+ years of major law firm or in-house legal department experience in commercial litigation, investigations, or restructuring and workouts.
· Knowledge of laws and regulations applicable to regulated banks, litigation, bankruptcy and creditors rights.
· Experience with commercial lending transactions and structured finance including but not limited to, asset-based loans, cash flow loans, sponsor finance and acquisition financings.
· Experience resolving issues across organizational borders.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).