Senior Database Administrator/DeveloperApply now Job ID R92761 Updated date 02/19/2020 Location New York, New York
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
This position will be responsible for supporting new and existing database systems managed on Cloud. The Database Administrator will help guide best practices in database administration, data high availability, database management, database design, process improvement, presenting technical information, reporting, quality, technical understanding, attention to detail, thoroughness, requirements analysis and introducing innovation with automation.
The Database Administrator should have advanced knowledge of Oracle databases including the creation and implementation of fully functional Cloud database instances.
- Amazon Web Services - Create/manage/optimize - EC2 and RDS instances, Cloudwatch, S3 buckets, Jenkins jobs
- Create/Manage Oracle Data Guard Broker and Oracle Golden Gate processes/workflows
- Leads incident resolution efforts, participates in Incident Management activities, and engages the appropriate resources to complete corrective actions as quickly as possible
- Supports and participates in root cause analysis and Problem Management activities for continuous improvement initiatives for service improvements, incident reduction and performance enhancements.
- Coordinates Change, Release and Configuration Management activities to ensure stability and control of services in production environment
- Participates and coordinates Production integration, production testing and validations
- Participates and supports SLA and operational performance monitoring and reporting
- Implements effective Risk Management controls, owns adherence to all compliance related items (exceptions, waivers, risks, technical compliance, access control)
- Plans and participates in Disaster Recovery exercises, system failover planning and testing
- Participates and supports effective operational document management practices and controls improvements, incident reduction and performance enhancement
- Participate in agile process and analyze user requirements and, based on findings, design functional specifications for databases following database standards
- Assist in planning and implementing capacity and resource expansion to ensure scalability of company databases
- Conduct research and make recommendations on database products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts
- Work with agile teams and product owners to ensure database design and performance meet business requirements
- Identify inefficiencies in current databases and implement improved solutions
- Assist in planning and performing database upgrades and migrations
- Participate with a team that provides day-to-day support and maintenance for existing and new databases
- Provide production support for the production databases
- Programming Languages/Workflows - Shell Scripting (BASH, KSH), Python, AWS (Chef, Json, Cloud Formation, Jenkins), Oracle PL/SQL, SQL*Plus
- Oracle Enterprise Monitoring
- Oracle Data Guard Broker
- Oracle Golden Gate
- Strong Oracle performance tuning skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiatives and conduct research into database issues, standards, and products independently
- Strong time management skills, able to work on multiple projects simultaneously and balance priorities
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environments
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems or computer engineering
- At least 7 years of database administration experience
- At least 7 years experience with performance tuning, developing, installing, configuring and supporting database environments
- At least 7 years’ experience with data storage, data modeling and data access patterns
- At least 5 years’ experience with Oracle databases
- At least 3 years of cloud experience with AWS
- AWS Certifications: Solutions Architect Associate, Developer Associate or SysOps Admin Associate
- 7+ years working with Oracle Databases
- 5+ years of experience with Shell Scripting
- 2+ years of PostgreSQL experience
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).