Principal Quantitative ModelerApply now Job ID R80251 Updated date 07/18/2019 Location New York, New York
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Capital One's Commercial Bank contains an approximately $100B (exposure) loan portfolio that has grown by virtue of several acquisitions. It is a Commercial Portfolio of C&I, CRE, Financial Institutions lending, and various other specialty lending. As one of its top initiatives, the bank is updating its suite of statistical loss forecasting models for a series of critical processes, such as CECL, Capital allocation, and Credit decisioning.
Responsibilities and Skills:
- Ownership of methodology development and parametrization of substantial components of Probability of Default, Loss Given Default, and Exposure at Default models in the wholesale portfolio risk suite, under the guidance of a senior manager
- Understand technical issues in statistical modeling, including theoretical assumptions and methodology limitations, data pitfalls, model sensitivities, simulation approaches or scenario analyses for low-default portfolios, and applying these skills toward providing robust solutions to business problems
- Communicate technical subject matter clearly and concisely in long-form writing of the model documentation and in short-form interactions in meetings with experts from various backgrounds, such as partner teams, senior management, model risk officers
- Interface effectively with partner teams and business customers: understand the business needs, identify available data and its quality and governance, prepare analyses and draft materials for discussion of model component options and results, defend the theoretical robustness and practicality of the selected approach and outcome to oversight groups, support the implementation team, and conduct impact estimation
- Identify opportunities to automate parts of model development and contribute to infrastructure, tool, or process improvement to enable efficiencies on the team
- Balance several priorities at a time, for example contribute to re-calibration of one model while staying on top of business-as-usual processes such as annual reviews of model appropriateness, issue remediation, ad-hoc user questions, third party model audits, on another model, keeping their respective timelines in mind
- Work on various ad hoc quantitative, modeling, and programming assignments using R or Python
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Econometrics, Mathematics, Financial Engineering, Operations Research, Engineering, Finance, Business, Technology or Physics
- 4 years’ experience in statistical or econometric modeling
- Master’s Degree. in Financial Engineering, Statistics, Econometrics, Mathematics, Operations Research, or Physics
- 2-4 years of credit risk modeling experience for commercial bank, or portfolio risk modeling at an investment firm
- Experience in underwriting, deal structuring, credit analysis, or investment portfolio management would be a plus
- Professional qualifications (CFA, FRM, etc) would be a plus
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).