Back End Software Engineer, Capital One Labs, NYCApply now Job ID R45966 Updated date 09/21/2018 Location New York, New York
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
As a Software Engineer in the labs, you’ll have a unique opportunity to work across the organization on projects ranging from RESTful services, to cloud infrastructure. You’ll bring solid experience in various technologies - Go, node.js, Python, Java, NoSQL and relationship databases, drone, and circleCI - with an interest and desire to experiment with new tools, languages, and frameworks.
Joining the New York arm of the Labs means you’ll be part of the foundation of a small but growing part of the larger labs engineering team. You will drive the technology decisions while working with product owners, designers, and business analysts to build applications in a near-startup environment.
Technically, you have architected scalable systems and processes and can look at existing processes with a critical eye. You have experience with optimization and performance, developing/integrating with APIs for various cloud services of different subsystems, and deploying to different cloud environments. A portion of this role, involves exploring new technologies to solve problems, so having experience with prototyping and research is a plus.
Position Provides Exposure to:
- Front End Skills: Single Page Applications (AngularJS, React) or Responsive Design
- Back End Skills: Micro-services, REST, Go, Python, NodeJS and Database (MongoDB, Postrgres or MySQL)
- DevOps/Platforms: Amazon Web Service (S3, RDS, EC2, Lambda, SQS, SNS, DynamoDB or CloudFormation) or Docker
- Automation Testing: Selenium, Cucumber or Automated Performance and Regression/Functional Testing
- CI/CD: Drone, Artifactory or Circle
- DB/Data Platforms: Kafka, Storm, MongoDB or Hadoop
- Develop new processes/tasks/objects using core workflow principles that are efficient, well structured, maintainable and easy to understand.
- Set and enforce coding standards.
- Direct efforts to define technical requirements
- Design conceptual architecture and technical solutions and lead efforts to develop and implement solutions
- Take responsibility for project activities including work estimation, planning, and stakeholder management, while pushing for project quality.
- Own partnership with cross-functional technology and design teams to ensure consistent, beneficial client interaction and solution delivery.
- Develop and integrate new APIs between services as needed.
- Bachelors' Degree or Military Experience
- At least 4 years of experience in Software Engineering, Platform Engineering, Middleware or Database Technology
- At least 2 years of experience with the full Software Development Life Cycle
- 3 years of experience with the AWS eco-system, toolsets and deployment architecture
- 3 years of experience in Python scripting languages
- 3 years of experience developing RESTful APIs
- 2 years of experience in databases (SQL or NoSQL)
- 1 year experience with multi-threaded apps
- 1 year experience with Design Patterns
- 1 year experience in Cloud Services (AWS, Azure or Google Cloud Platform)
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).