UX Researcher, Data Experience Design
Experience Sr. Associate
Primary Address McLean, Virginia
OverviewLocations: VA - McLean, United States of America, McLean, VirginiaUX Researcher, Data Experience Design
What happens at a company when its employees are set up to do their uniquely creative work? Capital One’s Data Experience Design team (Data.xd) uses human-centered approaches to design how the bank of the future runs behind the scenes—designing how our company’s platforms, data, and touchpoints work in concert so that the tools associates use day-to-day in their roles puts them in a place of creativity and ah-ha moments instead of routine tasks and grunt work. Capital One made huge investments in technology, data, and design to be able to re-imagine how people bank; and now the tools and systems associates use to problem solve and invent new things can be just as dynamic and personalized as the experiences we’re designing for our customers. That’s why the Data.xd team exists.
We are currently seeking a Design Researcher to join our team. Because we are a human centered organization obsessed with delivering products and services based on customer research and feedback, design research is at the heart of our work. We believe using empathy, curiosity and asking questions to understand our customers is core to delivering best in class products and services. We represent the voice of our customers and focus on being the source of truth for our customer insights. We are looking for a highly motivated, self-starter to join our team.
What You’ll Do:
You’ll be asked to handle a variety of responsibilities, including:
Collaboration & Connecting
- Collaborate with technology, product, and business teams to inform intuitive and engaging customer experiences
- Translate complex ideas into understandable concepts that evolve and enhance the product experience
- Advocate for the customer through human-centered design methodologies
- Champion prioritization of design centered product enhancements grounded in research and analysis
- Actively teach and mentor designers
- Working with Design, Tech, and Product partners and teams across various geographies
- Embracing and advocating for an experience mindset - this is as important to the work as the results
Discovery & Delivery
- Demonstrate fluency with design research tools and techniques to measure success, present opportunities, and support decision-making and prioritization
- Familiarity with the Double Diamond framework
- Experience with Specialized Domain and complex applications
- Experience with generative research methods (e.g. contextual inquiry interviews)
- Experience with evaluative research methods (e.g. cognitive walkthroughs or usability testing)
- Experience with Jobs-to-be-Done (JTBD) framework
- Practice and help evolve the team’s research techniques and toolset to work effectively in cross-team collaboration
- Participate in end-to-end product design by:
- Conducting in-person and remote research studies at all stages from discovery to validation, using a variety of methods to understand customer needs and define opportunities such as usability studies, card sorting, field studies, cognitive walk-throughs, contextual inquiry, participatory design.
- Helping designers and non-designers on project teams understand and apply research findings by framing problems, defining insights, and designing new methodologies/practices to serve customer needs
- Distilling findings into clearly articulated and actionable insights to influence the direction of research for stakeholders
- Facilitating and participating in workshops with internal and external stakeholders to align with business needs
- Participate in presenting research and analysis clearly and effectively across various organizations by supporting, explaining, and demonstrating usability approaches and research to a variety of audience types from design experts to non-designers
- Contribute to and maintain the team’s research repository
At least 2 years of experience in a Research role
At least 2 years of leading User Experience (UX) Research
At least 2 years experience on multi-disciplinary teams delivering service experiences
Masters Degree in social sciences, human factor, cognitive science, human computer interaction, or behavioral economics
Advanced degree or certifications in a design or research related field
Comfortable working with a variety of business partners and delivering outcomes
5 or more years of experience as a Design Researcher in a corporate or consulting capacity
3 or more years of experience with usability testing and user experience research within a lab environment
Experience mentoring others and coordinating project teams
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
How We Hire
We take finding great coworkers pretty seriously.
Step 1 Apply
It only takes a few minutes to complete our application and assessment.
Step 2 Screen and Schedule
If your application is a good match you’ll hear from one of our recruiters to set up a screening interview.
Step 3 Interview(s)
Now’s your chance to learn about the job, show us who you are, share why you would be a great addition to the team and determine if Capital One is the place for you.
Step 4 Decision
The team will discuss — if it’s a good fit for us and you, we’ll make it official!
How to Pick the Perfect Career Opportunity
Overwhelmed by a tough career choice? Read these tips from Devon Rollins, Senior Director of Cyber Intelligence, to help you accept the right offer with confidence.
Your wellbeing is our priority
Our benefits and total compensation package is designed for the whole person. Caring for both you and your family.
Healthy Body, Healthy Mind
You have options and we have the tools to help you decide which health plans best fit your needs.
Save Money, Make Money
Secure your present, plan for your future and reduce expenses along the way.
Time, Family and Advice
Options for your time, opportunities for your family, and advice along the way. It’s time to BeWell.
Here’s how the team fits together. We’re big on growth and knowing who and how coworkers can best support you.
You don't have any pinned jobs right now
Want more jobs like this?
Set a Job Alert
Explore Your Options
Build the next generation of digital tools for our customers—we’re always innovating solutions.Explore 439 Jobs
Leverage technology in new and powerful ways to pioneer change, all in the pursuit of changing banking for good.Explore 525 Jobs
When our customers have questions about our products and services, they’ll turn to you.Explore 9 Jobs
Design and create future-forward products on a team of innovators helping to change banking for good.Explore 349 Jobs
Write code and crunch numbers, all in pursuit of developing models that solve problems—and make us a better bank.Explore 69 Jobs
Use your tech skills to stop cyber threats and help make banking safe and secure for our customers.Explore 39 Jobs
Help us tell our story by creating memorable digital experiences for our customers through your creativity and ingenuity.Explore 105 Jobs
Take your place on the front lines, representing our brand, problem solving and building relationships with the customersExplore 175 Jobs
Your outgoing personality and tech-savvy know-how can make all the difference for the customers that visit our cafés.Explore 22 Jobs
Use cutting-edge software, audit methodologies, and data science to help us make great business decisions.Explore 23 Jobs
Use your bold perspective and specialized skills to drive projects and implement financial strategies—challenging the way banking is done.Explore 82 Jobs
Deliver expert advice, superior products and best-in-class service to our commercial partners.Explore 38 Jobs
Your entrepreneurial mindset and expertise leads to one-of-a-kind service for every small business owner you assist.Explore 26 Jobs
Use your expertise and perspective to bring insights to the table so we can grow in the right ways.Explore 187 Jobs
Be on the frontlines of attracting, engaging and retaining top talent that’s helping us change banking for good.Explore 59 Jobs
Marketing and Communications
Help us tell our story, connect with customers and introduce our products and to the world.Explore 11 Jobs
Help us communicate how we’re changing banking for good, and ensure our brand is one of the most recognized in the industry.Explore 41 Jobs
Analyze, develop and test the strategies that pull insights from our data and move us forward.Explore 24 Jobs
Use your strategic and analytical skills to help solve major challenges and make both our business and banking, better.Explore 85 Jobs
Offer simple answers to complex questions, while helping both our team and customers thrive.Explore 97 Jobs
Move our innovations closer to reality by mitigating legal risk with your expertise and ability to advise on strategic business decisions.Explore 14 Jobs