Senior Manager, Senior Counsel – TransactionsApply now Job ID R89606 Updated date 02/11/2020 Location McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
CAST (Corporate and Strategic Transactions) is a team within Capital One’s Legal Department that is comprised of a dynamic group of legal professionals who support Capital One’s transactional activity, including mergers & acquisitions, strategic investments, complex procurement and outsourcing contracts, line of business transactions and partnerships, corporate real estate transactions and capital markets transactions. In addition, attorneys and other legal professionals within CAST advise our diversified businesses on a broad range of business matters in a constantly changing and stimulating environment. Through its bold initiatives, state of the art infrastructure, breadth of talent, and dynamic work environment, the Legal Department of Capital One has become one of the most highly admired corporate legal departments in the country.
The Senior Manager, Senior Counsel - Transactions will be responsible for the following:
- Assisting in managing (including drafting and negotiating) a wide range of transactions including:
- supporting the transactional needs of our Card business, such as card program agreements, digital partnership agreements, and agreements relating to our B2B credit management program
- mergers and acquisitions
- Working with complex due diligence reviews, business line partnerships, portfolio sales and acquisitions, alliances and other business agreements, marketing agreements, transactions in support of the Company’s digital/mobile initiative, and complex procurement and outsourcing contracts
- Counseling and advising client groups, including providing legal advice on complex legal issues
- Implementing and monitoring repeatable, controlled processes for transactional work
- When necessary, managing and coordinating outside counsel
The successful candidate will be a seasoned legal professional with proven ability to operate effectively in a complex, highly regulated, and evolving environment. The candidate will have a demonstrated ability and willingness to work as a team player, interacting with associates across departments and job levels; the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision; strong organizational skills with impeccable attention to detail; excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills; and the ability to work cooperatively with internal constituents to create efficient processes and to get issues resolved across organizational boundaries. Exceptional negotiation skills and the ability to identify, lead and manage a negotiation team as well as the ability to manage multiple transactions, take on new responsibilities and handle novel issues is critical.
- At least 3 years of experience in a law firm or an in-house legal department, or a combination, with a focus on private and public mergers and acquisitions, portfolio and other asset sales and acquisitions, credit card partnerships, credit card association agreements and marketing alliances
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- Experience across commercial transactions including in-house procurement or supply chain management transactions
- Experience providing advice and counsel on transactions to clients in the financial services industry
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).