Principal Project Manager, On Demand FinanceApply now Job ID R77043 Updated date 06/03/2019 Location McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Principal Project Manager- BREW Application Development Team, On Demand Finance Transformation
Do you want to be part of a team transforming an entire department by delivering against our customers' needs, uncovering where the value lies and working with technology, design, subject-matter experts, and finance professionals to create reporting product solutions? Do you want to work in a fast-paced new product development team? Does the idea of interfacing with internal customers and across functions to do discovery and research, to find solutions that drive value, excite you? If so, we want you!
Our product team is part of a larger group focused on the transformation of Finance at Capital One. On Demand Finance is what we are calling our transformation journey and we have a clear vision of the destination. Our Chief Financial Officer has declared four foundational goals to be completed by 2021 to achieve our On Demand Finance vision. One of our goals is to design a reporting application that enables transparency and self-service to our Finance users/customers.
As a Principal Project Manager, your role will be to understand what our customers want and partner with our tech application teams to deliver. You’ll work with internal customers and stakeholders to determine what is working (or not) with their current reporting processes, research and provide creative thinking that supports potential solutions and/or automation for our Finance users, manage roadmaps, and support the product owner within our Agile development teams.
This is a highly collaborative role, where success requires being able to listen to our customers and successfully support our development teams to deliver against, as well as being able to influence and engage our customers/internal stakeholders in support of our product vision.
As the Principal Project Manager, you will:
- Empathize and understand customers needs for a reporting application
- Communicate our application strategy to customers and ensure their needs align with our overall objectives
- Coordinate and facilitate design sessions to understand reporting pain points and identify process improvements to meet our strategic vision for our products
- Participate in Design Thinking, Agile, and Lean rituals which establish a rhythm for the team, promote ongoing communication, and iterative refinement of product initiatives
- Work closely with Product Owners and serve as a customer advocate when priorities are defined, and ensure product quality and business outcome
- Be part of testing against customers business needs and expected outcomes
- Challenge status quo and influence customers to think about how to make the impossible possible
What we are looking for:
- Exceptional customer relationship building skills
- Experience working within Project Management, Agile, Design Thinking, and Lean methodologies
- Exceptional communication skills -- someone who is an engaging storyteller and is at ease presenting to larger groups
- Creative problem solver
- Some knowledge of Financial systems
- A blend of both strategic and tactical thinking -- being able to align long term vision with iterative execution
- Comfortable working in ambiguous white space
- Exceptional judgment to support decision making within teams
- Collaborative, team player attitude with the ability to navigate and influence teams
- Bachelor’s Degree or military experience
- At least 4 years of experience in technology project management
- At least 2 years of experience in technology product management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or technology
- MBA or Master’s degree
- 5+ years of experience in Agile
- 5+ years of financial systems experience
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).