Principal Legal Specialist
Experience Principal Associate
Primary Address McLean, Virginia
OverviewCenter 1 (19052), United States of America, McLean, VirginiaPrincipal Legal Specialist
The Governance and Securities team in the Legal Department is seeking an experienced paralegal (known as “Legal Specialists” at Capital One) to join a growing, dynamic group of legal professionals who provide support to Capital One on public disclosures and general corporate governance. This important role within the organization supports the Board of Directors, the preparation and filing of SEC disclosure documents, and a broad range of other corporate governance matters.
The Principal Legal Specialist will be responsible for assisting with a variety of public disclosure and governance matters.
- Assisting with filings made with the SEC, compliance programs for Section 16 filings, trading plans, director and officer questionnaires, insider trading and other matters related to internal securities policies.
- Assisting with the development and filing of the annual proxy statement and ensuring compliance with controls and procedures applicable to the proxy and related disclosures.
- Managing the organization and planning of the annual meeting of stockholders.
- Supporting enhancement and implementation of effective processes to ensure compliance with policies and procedures relating to Legal Department activities.
- Assisting with the drafting, updating, and implementation of a variety of corporate governance policies and procedures.
- Supporting Capital One’s corporate secretarial function, including the in-person and virtual meeting operations of the Board of Directors, its committees, and the company senior management committees.
- Maintaining strong relationships and lines of communication with business partners and other key stakeholders across the organization.
- Performing other related tasks and supporting ad hoc projects as needed.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent certification, or military experience.
- At least 3 years of paralegal or project/process management experience with either an in-house legal department or a law firm.
- 5+ years of paralegal experience or project/process management with either an in-house legal department or law firm, with a focus in securities and corporate governance.
- Ability to build collegial and effective relationships with business leaders, attorneys, paralegals, and project managers at all levels of the company.
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment, properly prioritize workload, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Capability to anticipate and resolve problems quickly and independently.
- Enthusiasm, willingness to assume increased responsibility, and a continuous improvement mindset.
- Familiarity with corporate governance at financial services or highly regulated entities.
- Proficiency in Google Workspace (formerly G Suite – Gmail and Google Docs and Drive).
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
How We Hire
We take finding great coworkers pretty seriously.
Step 1 Apply
It only takes a few minutes to complete our application and assessment.
Step 2 Screen and Schedule
If your application is a good match you’ll hear from one of our recruiters to set up a screening interview.
Step 3 Interview(s)
Now’s your chance to learn about the job, show us who you are, share why you would be a great addition to the team and determine if Capital One is the place for you.
Step 4 Decision
The team will discuss — if it’s a good fit for us and you, we’ll make it official!
How to Pick the Perfect Career Opportunity
Overwhelmed by a tough career choice? Read these tips from Devon Rollins, Senior Director of Cyber Intelligence, to help you accept the right offer with confidence.
Your wellbeing is our priority
Our benefits and total compensation package is designed for the whole person. Caring for both you and your family.
Healthy Body, Healthy Mind
You have options and we have the tools to help you decide which health plans best fit your needs.
Save Money, Make Money
Secure your present, plan for your future and reduce expenses along the way.
Time, Family and Advice
Options for your time, opportunities for your family, and advice along the way. It’s time to BeWell.
Here’s how the team fits together. We’re big on growth and knowing who and how coworkers can best support you.
Want more jobs like this?
Set a Job Alert
Explore Your Options
Build the next generation of digital tools for our customers—we’re always innovating solutions.Explore 687 Jobs
Leverage technology in new and powerful ways to pioneer change, all in the pursuit of changing banking for good.Explore 741 Jobs
Design and create future-forward products on a team of innovators helping to change banking for good.Explore 107 Jobs
Write code and crunch numbers, all in pursuit of developing models that solve problems—and make us a better bank.Explore 30 Jobs
Use your tech skills to stop cyber threats and help make banking safe and secure for our customers.Explore 36 Jobs
Help us tell our story by creating memorable digital experiences for our customers through your creativity and ingenuity.Explore 22 Jobs
Take your place on the front lines, representing our brand, problem solving and building relationships with the customersExplore 158 Jobs
Your outgoing personality and tech-savvy know-how can make all the difference for the customers that visit our cafés.Explore 25 Jobs
Use cutting-edge software, audit methodologies, and data science to help us make great business decisions.Explore 14 Jobs
Use your bold perspective and specialized skills to drive projects and implement financial strategies—challenging the way banking is done.Explore 41 Jobs
Deliver expert advice, superior products and best-in-class service to our commercial partners.Explore 18 Jobs
Your entrepreneurial mindset and expertise leads to one-of-a-kind service for every small business owner you assist.Explore 16 Jobs
Use your expertise and perspective to bring insights to the table so we can grow in the right ways.Explore 75 Jobs
Be on the frontlines of attracting, engaging and retaining top talent that’s helping us change banking for good.Explore 13 Jobs
Help us communicate how we’re changing banking for good, and ensure our brand is one of the most recognized in the industry.Explore 16 Jobs
Analyze, develop and test the strategies that pull insights from our data and move us forward.Explore 30 Jobs
Use your strategic and analytical skills to help solve major challenges and make both our business and banking, better.Explore 29 Jobs
Offer simple answers to complex questions, while helping both our team and customers thrive.Explore 12 Jobs
Move our innovations closer to reality by mitigating legal risk with your expertise and ability to advise on strategic business decisions.Explore 8 Jobs