Manager, Vulnerability Management / Application Security Risk Oversight – Cyber Risk ManagementApply now Job ID R71602 Updated date 07/16/2019 Location McLean, Virginia; Richmond, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
This position represents a unique opportunity to combine hands-on technical and operational experience with a risk-based and strategic outlook to provide effective oversight of enterprise Vulnerability Management and Application Security (VM/AppSec) capabilities. This individual will have the ability to leverage their VM/AppSec subject matter expertise to provide effective oversight, credible challenge, and expert advice to the control and manage associated risk. This position will play a key role in assessing and challenging current and proposed VM/AppSec capabilities to identify, assess, control, and help manage risk in these areas.
This position – Manager, Vulnerability Management/Application Security Risk Oversight – will play a key role in the review, risk identification, risk assessment, reporting, and effective challenge of VM/AppSec processes, controls, and capabilities. This individual will provide subject matter expertise, oversight, and effective challenge of key VM/AppSec areas such as Identification, Scanning, Prioritization, Reporting, and Remediation.
Cyber Risk Management, a component of Operational Compliance and Risk (OCR) within Capital One, is a growing organization focused on providing expert advice, credible challenge, and effective oversight of information security and technology risk activities. The Associates that make up the Cyber Risk Management team are highly-skilled information security, cyber, technology, and risk management professionals who bring a wealth of experience to bear to deliver high-impact analysis and recommendations that are rooted in direct knowledge of security and technology.
As part of the second line of defense, this position will also collaborate closely with associates in first line Cyber, Technology, the Lines of Business, as well as other second line of defense risk management offices to perform and support evaluations of the effectiveness of the firm’s controls infrastructure and offer independent advice and recommendations regarding ways to further mature the firm’s cyber risk management capabilities.
Finally, as a member of a growing organization, you will have the opportunity to shape and further refine your portfolio commensurate with the priorities of the organization and the firm. The position affords opportunities for substantial growth. The demands and high-visibility nature of this position require an expert with a proven ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and who can begin contributing immediately.
Essential Functions (Responsibilities):
- Play a lead role in identifying areas of cyber risk to provide oversight, analysis, effective challenge, and risk-informed expert advice and recommendations
- Manage the Cyber RM organization’s participation in assessing cyber risks associated with Vulnerability Management/Application Security (VM/AppSec)
- Provide technical assessments of VM/AppSec controls design and effectiveness
- Draft assessments for senior management and other stakeholders, to include regulatory agencies and the Board of Directors, as needed
- Stay current on emerging c -yber threats and potential implications to the firm
- Collaborate effectively with colleagues, stakeholders, and leaders across multiple organizations to achieve objectives
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 2 years of experience with enterprise-grade tools, technologies, and processes in the areas of Vulnerability Management, Application Security, automated scanning tools, and manual AppSec testing
- At least 4 years of experience managing, consulting, auditing, or working in the fields of information security, cyber, technology, risk management, compliance, or audit
- At least 1 year of experience drafting reports or analytic assessments for senior management
- Professional security management certification; e.g. Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), or Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC)
- Experience with analysis of emerging threats and reports that describe the implications of threat(s) and opportunities to executives or senior decision-makers
- Experience working as part of a Red Team/penetration tester for networks and/or web-based applications, APIs, mobile apps, etc.
- Ability to communicate clearly and to interact effectively at all levels of the organization, and to influence as warranted and appropriate
- Passion and expertise in cybersecurity, with an ability to be confident, respectful, and articulate when registering dissenting or unpopular opinions
- Ability to manage multiple high-visibility and high-impact projects while maintaining superior results
- Execution oriented and a self-motivator
- Familiarity with controls and control frameworks (e.g. NIST Cybersecurity Framework, NIST 800-53, CIS Top 20, OWASP, ISO, COBIT, etc.)
- Prior experience working in financial services or other highly-regulated sector
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).