Machine Learning Scientist, Customer ResiliencyApply now Job ID R90235 Updated date 01/13/2020 Location McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
At Capital One, data is at the center of everything we do. When we launched as a startup, we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 200 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making.
The Card ML team is working to transform every corner of our business with machine learning. To accomplish this goal, we use the latest techniques in machine learning - deep learning, reinforcement learning, adversarial networks, and natural language processing - and marry them with real-time streaming data in the cloud to create best-in-class enterprise-scale ML products. We tackle a huge variety of business problems and work with vast quantities of data of every kind.
As an ML Scientist at Capital One, you’ll be joining a research team that’s part of driving the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale, using the latest in distributed computing technologies and operating across billions and billions of customer transactions and interactions to unlock the big opportunities that help everyday people save money, time and difficulty in their financial lives. We do machine learning research and product development differently at Capital One. ML scientists aren’t siloed in the lab, but instead partner closely with Software Engineers, Product Managers, and business stakeholders, to discover, invent, and build at the largest scale. Ideas come from internal projects and academic partnerships with world-class institutions. ML Scientists work together to build state-of-the-art speech recognition in noisy environments, building models and deriving unexpected insights from customer interactions, and enabling products that help customers complete tasks via natural language conversation. In this role, you will apply your expertise in ML to inform a research group’s agenda and drive critical business outcomes. You will stay connected to the wider research and scientific software community as an active contributor.
The Ideal Candidate will be:
- Technical. You are independent and can develop your own algorithms and experiments. You have hands-on experience developing ML solutions, from concept to production, and selecting the right tool for the job at hand. You understand modern cloud computing. Lots of data do not frighten you, they present a challenge you are eager to take on. You know R, Scala, Julia, and/or Python.
- Innovative. You continually research and evaluate emerging technologies. You stay current on published state-of-the-art ML methods, technologies, and applications. You ask why, explore and openly share your disruptive ideas.
- Business-Minded. You can analyze customer needs and drive towards impactful business outcomes.
- Leader. You challenge conventional thinking and traditional ways of operating, and you collaborate with stakeholders to identify and improve the status quo.
- Master’s Degree plus 2 years of experience in machine learning, or PhD
- At least 2 years' coding experience with open source programming languages (e.g. R, Python, or Scala)
- At least 2 years’ experience developing solutions that leverage one or more of the following: operations research, natural language processing, machine learning, deep learning, video analysis, mage analysis, or time-series analysis.
- PhD in a Machine Learning discipline
- At least 2 years’ experience in machine learning working with time series data
- At least 2 years’ experience working with AWS, Azure, or similar cloud platform
- At least 2 years’ experience developing solutions in Python, Scala, or R-Top-tier peer-reviewed publications on ML research
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).