Director, Asst General Counsel, Consumer RegulatoryApply now Job ID R55752 Updated date 12/03/2018 Location McLean, Virginia; Richmond, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
The Regulatory Advisory Team in Capital One’s Legal Department is seeking an experienced attorney to be the enterprise-wide legal expert on UDAP/UDAAP and marketing laws generally. The attorney in this position will review certain lending, deposit and other financial services marketing materials for compliance with all consumer regulatory laws and internal policies, and supervise a team of marketing advisory professionals.
This position will report to the Senior Director - Associate General Counsel, Customer Experience and Regulatory Change Management and will have responsibility for:
(1) acting as the expert for UDAAP for all stages of the customer experience, including acquisitions, operations, and risk management controls;
(2) acting as an expert for federal and state marketing laws and competitive claims;
(3) reviewing and providing marketing and intellectual property advice in mass media reviews and escalating to intellectual property experts and management as needed;
(4) leading the development of, and updates to, enterprise legal marketing standards;
(5) managing two legal professionals who review social media, promotions, and public relations materials and develop and maintain UDAAP and marketing resources; and
(6) identifying opportunities for and leading related projects to drive innovation in the consumer protection area.
This position will entail numerous interactions with business and staff partners, Legal Department subject matter experts and senior line of business attorneys in a fast-paced environment. You will be required to have strong analytical skills and ability to interpret data; able to provide innovative and well-grounded advice, balancing regulatory risks and business needs, particularly in situations where the law is unclear.
- JD and member in good standing of at least one state bar
- At least 7 years of experience in a law firm, or in an in-house legal department or in a federal regulatory agency
- At least 5 years focused on financial services marketing or at least 5 years focused on consumer financial protection
- At least 2 years of experience advising on campaigns or at least 2 years of experience advising on matters with intellectual property issues
- At least 3 years of people management experience
- 7+ years of experience advising on consumer finance laws, regulations and disclosures
- 3+ years of management experience, with proven track record recruiting and developing talent, and overseeing the substantive work of others
- Proven ability to influence at all levels
- Ability to clearly identify and describe legal risks presented by very detailed marketing materials and present options
- Ability to build collegial and effective relationships with attorneys, business managers, analysts, project managers, and Corporate Compliance professionals
- Ability to prioritize a significant volume of marketing questions and to manage multiple, simultaneous deadlines
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).