Associate, Specialty Underwriter & Portfolio Manager - Manager level - Commercial Healthcare Real Estate
Category Risk Management
Primary Address Chicago, Illinois
Overview77 West Wacker Dr (35012), United States of America, Chicago, IllinoisAssociate, Specialty Underwriter & Portfolio Manager - Manager level - Commercial Healthcare Real Estate
The Underwriting and Portfolio Management organization is responsible for working with internal partners to underwrite new transactions and manage the existing portfolio of loans. Our Underwriters and Portfolio Managers balance supporting the Commercial’s Bank’s growth and ensuring we have a scalable, well-managed business. This role supports the Commercial Healthcare Real Estate UW&PM team.
Capital One Healthcare is a leading provider of financial services to the industry with over $11 billion in total outstanding balances. Customers across healthcare sectors—including senior housing, healthcare services, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, healthcare IT and medical offices—rely on Capital One Healthcare to finance acquisitions, refinance existing debt, support working capital needs and fund growth initiatives. With in-depth expertise, our team of professionals creates solutions tailored to meet the needs of our customers.
Capital One Healthcare is a part of Capital One Commercial Banking, which leverages a relationship-based banking model that seamlessly delivers an array of products and services including loans and deposit accounts, treasury management services, merchant services, investment banking, international services and correspondent banking.
As an Associate, Underwriting & Portfolio Management, you have advanced beyond the fundamentals of credit risk management and are expected to perform most responsibilities with minimal oversight. In addition to identifying risks and mitigants, you begin to identify and escalate trends or anomalies on individual deals or within the portfolio.
Primary underwriting responsibilities may include:
- Perform due diligence on industry and company performance; synthesize research and begin to draw conclusions; may start to lead diligence calls
- Perform thorough financial analysis and identify disparities, risks, and creative ways to mitigate risk
- Prepare financial modeling inputs with little guidance; understand model mechanics and consider overrides or exceptions
- Analyze appropriate structuring options considering collateral and borrower valuation
- Write and prepare credit approval documents; provide meaningful contribution to internal meetings, including deal review and pipeline meetings
- Coordinate and complete closing process requirements
- Begin to shadow more senior underwriters on reviewing and negotiating legal documentation
- Communicate with all external constituents; exhibit a sense of urgency toward meeting client requests
- Prepare term sheets, commitment letters and fee letters with guidance; basic understanding of credit documents
- Prepare pricing model for complex deal structures and begin to understand drivers for pricing model outputs
Primary portfolio or asset management responsibilities may include:
- Demonstrate ownership of a portfolio of existing customers with minimal guidance; may take on more complex or higher volume of accounts
- Complete annual reviews and both material and non-material modifications independently and on time
- Monitor and determine upgrades or downgrades to risk ratings
- Ensure compliance with credit policies and procedures for existing accounts
- Respond to requests from all internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure portfolio data is accurate, timely, and complete to ensure strong quality and reporting capabilities
- Escalate and resolve problem accounts in partnership with other teams and specialists
Additional Responsibilities may include:
- Build relationships across function and business to foster collaboration between partner groups
- Mentor and train rotational analysts and new hires
- Participate in internal initiatives to ensure the business is well-managed and operates efficiently
- Bachelor’s Degree or Military Experience
- At least 3 years of experience in credit underwriting or at least 3 years of experience in portfolio management or at least 3 years of experience in asset management
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or other relevant fields
- 5+ years of experience in credit underwriting or portfolio management or asset management
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
How We Hire
We take finding great coworkers pretty seriously.
Step 1 Apply
It only takes a few minutes to complete our application and assessment.
Step 2 Screen and Schedule
If your application is a good match you’ll hear from one of our recruiters to set up a screening interview.
Step 3 Interview(s)
Now’s your chance to learn about the job, show us who you are, share why you would be a great addition to the team and determine if Capital One is the place for you.
Step 4 Decision
The team will discuss — if it’s a good fit for us and you, we’ll make it official!
How to Pick the Perfect Career Opportunity
Overwhelmed by a tough career choice? Read these tips from Devon Rollins, Senior Director of Cyber Intelligence, to help you accept the right offer with confidence.
Your wellbeing is our priority
Our benefits and total compensation package is designed for the whole person. Caring for both you and your family.
Healthy Body, Healthy Mind
You have options and we have the tools to help you decide which health plans best fit your needs.
Save Money, Make Money
Secure your present, plan for your future and reduce expenses along the way.
Time, Family and Advice
Options for your time, opportunities for your family, and advice along the way. It’s time to BeWell.
Here’s how the team fits together. We’re big on growth and knowing who and how coworkers can best support you.
Sr Risk Manager - PartnershipsRichmond, Virginia
IRG Analyst, Senior Manager, Investment Research GroupChicago, Illinois
Associate, Specialty Underwriting & Portfolio ManagementBethesda, Maryland
Commercial Real Estate- Multifamily Agency Underwriter IIBethesda, Maryland
You don't have any pinned jobs right now
Want more jobs like this?
Set a Job Alert
Explore Your Options
Build the next generation of digital tools for our customers—we’re always innovating solutions.Explore 522 Jobs
Leverage technology in new and powerful ways to pioneer change, all in the pursuit of changing banking for good.Explore 608 Jobs
When our customers have questions about our products and services, they’ll turn to you.Explore 13 Jobs
Design and create future-forward products on a team of innovators helping to change banking for good.Explore 341 Jobs
Write code and crunch numbers, all in pursuit of developing models that solve problems—and make us a better bank.Explore 74 Jobs
Use your tech skills to stop cyber threats and help make banking safe and secure for our customers.Explore 36 Jobs
Help us tell our story by creating memorable digital experiences for our customers through your creativity and ingenuity.Explore 85 Jobs
Take your place on the front lines, representing our brand, problem solving and building relationships with the customersExplore 196 Jobs
Your outgoing personality and tech-savvy know-how can make all the difference for the customers that visit our cafés.Explore 22 Jobs
Use cutting-edge software, audit methodologies, and data science to help us make great business decisions.Explore 18 Jobs
Use your bold perspective and specialized skills to drive projects and implement financial strategies—challenging the way banking is done.Explore 90 Jobs
Deliver expert advice, superior products and best-in-class service to our commercial partners.Explore 33 Jobs
Your entrepreneurial mindset and expertise leads to one-of-a-kind service for every small business owner you assist.Explore 25 Jobs
Use your expertise and perspective to bring insights to the table so we can grow in the right ways.Explore 185 Jobs
Be on the frontlines of attracting, engaging and retaining top talent that’s helping us change banking for good.Explore 56 Jobs
Marketing and Communications
Help us tell our story, connect with customers and introduce our products and to the world.Explore 14 Jobs
Help us communicate how we’re changing banking for good, and ensure our brand is one of the most recognized in the industry.Explore 36 Jobs
Analyze, develop and test the strategies that pull insights from our data and move us forward.Explore 22 Jobs
Use your strategic and analytical skills to help solve major challenges and make both our business and banking, better.Explore 89 Jobs
Offer simple answers to complex questions, while helping both our team and customers thrive.Explore 84 Jobs
Move our innovations closer to reality by mitigating legal risk with your expertise and ability to advise on strategic business decisions.Explore 16 Jobs