Senior Back End Developer – Data EngineeringApply now Job ID R2202 Updated date 03/15/2017 Locations Nottingham, England
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Data is the bedrock on which Capital One operates, and the efficiency, security and quality of that data is vital in understanding the needs of our customers and the requirements of our internal teams. By focusing on the speed of data ingestion and delivery, along with efficient and cost effective storage we are able to provide context relevant data to everyone as and when they need it.
Developers in this role will be required to create high performant data ingestion pipelines, write highly efficient data transformation tools and be required to create all this with an incredibly high degree of stability and security. With data coming from all parts of the Capital One organisation, an ability to work closely with other teams and disciplines is incredibly important.
The key requirement is an individual who has knowledge of high performance application development, a strong understanding of data management and an ability to apply that to a complex and data-rich development environment.
Specific Responsibilities and Experience
We're looking for the best and the skills below are only a guide to what we're looking for. If you don't meet all the requirements but think this role is for you, we'd really like to hear from you.
- Designing and developing data ingestion pipelines from a multitude of different sources
- Working as part of a self-organised data engineering team to deliver tools and technology as needed
- Partnering with Product Owners and team leads to understand their requirements
- Design and develop well structured, clean and efficient code to meet the needs of all stakeholders
- Develop automation and testing tools to prove the correctness of your work for consumption by the on-team Quality Engineers
- Collaborating with our internal security review team on security practices within Data Engineering
- Improve yours and your peers knowledge and skills in development and programming methodologies
- Mentoring less experienced developers as and when required
- Responsible for the design and documentation of feature implementation and standardisation
Required Skills and Experience
- Expert knowledge of Java, C# or other modern high performance OO programming language
- Experience of working with high availability RESTful APIs and other HTTP services
- Experience of database technologies such as SQL and NoSQL on multiple projects
- Ability to design and adapt data formats such as JSON or equivalent
- Understanding and experience of using code profiling tools to tailor the efficiency of applications
- A strong desire to learn new techniques and processes
- Knowledge of estimation and task breakdown along with long term planning in an agile environment
- Knowledge of DVCS tools such as Git or Mercurial
- Ability to work with other peoples code and solve problems outside your area of expertise
- Provable experience of developing and maintaining code used over multiple projects
- Development experience using TDD or BDD and related tools
- Past experience of transforming and processing big or real-time data sets
- Experience of working within an Enterprise environment
- Provable past examples of working with, and developing against, AWS architecture
- Example live products using tools such as Kafka or RabbitMQ or similar
About Capital One
Changing banking for good is not an idle statement, it’s our core vision and applies to everything we do. For us, it’s a no brainer. A happy customer is a loyal customer. By bringing innovation, simplicity, and, most importantly, humanity to the financial services industry we will succeed in delivering this mission. We are transforming ourselves into a FinTech company.
Capital One has been voted the Best Workplace for the last 3 years and we’re also recognised for our work in treating customer fairly. We have two development centres; Nottingham and London and in these we are delivering the next big things that will help our customers succeed.
We’d like you to be part of it.
Your influence will extend far beyond the immediate team. Working with product owners and designers, the innovative and creative side to your personality will shine through. Ever the problem-solver, your data-driven approach to solution design makes you the strongest advocate of our customers.
We offer a very competitive rewards package, a great pension scheme, bonus, generous holiday entitlement and private medical insurance. You can look forward to a host of other benefits including cycle to work and season ticket loans.
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com.
All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).