Software Development Engineering Frontend – Data EngineeringApply now Job ID R2199 Updated date 12/01/2016 Locations Nottingham, England
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Data is the bedrock on which Capital One operates, and how that data is presented is key to the insights that our scientists, engineers and designers respond to, and react to, our users needs. By focusing not just on technical quality but on the quality of how information is presented we enable all parts of the Capital One family to provide great service and products to those we serve.
Developers in this role will be required to create custom web-based frontends for both information end points as well as the information pipeline itself. Internal and external end user portals, pipeline visualisations and metric dashboards will all be within the remit of the Data Engineering frontend developer.
Specific Responsibilities and Experience
We're looking for the best and the skills below are only a guide to what we're looking for. If you don't meet all the requirements but think this role is for you, we'd really like to hear from you.
- Designing and developing visualisation tools for data scientists, engineers and other interested parties
- Development of client side portals to support and enhance our data ingestion pipelines
- Working as part of a self-organised data engineering team to deliver tools and technology as needed
- Working with Product Owners and developers to understand their requirements
- Develop well structured, clean and efficient code to meet the needs of all stakeholders
- Alongside the on-team Quality Engineers, develop automation and testing tools to prove the correctness of your work
- Constantly improving your knowledge and skills in both development and programming methodologies
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience of frontend technologies such as React, Angular or Emberjs
- A strong desire to learn new techniques and processes
- Knowledge of estimation and task breakdown
- Knowledge of source control software such as SVN or Git
- Past experience of working with big or real-time data sets
- Experience of working within an Enterprise environment
- Development experience using TDD or BDD
- Experience with Agile development
- Clear understanding of MVC architecture
About Capital One
Changing banking for good is not an idle statement, it’s our core vision and applies to everything we do. For us, it’s a no brainer. A happy customer is a loyal customer. By bringing innovation, simplicity, and, most importantly, humanity to the financial services industry we will succeed in delivering this mission. We are transforming ourselves into a FinTech company.
Capital One has been voted the Best Workplace for the last 3 years and we’re also recognised for our work in treating customer fairly. We have two development centres; Nottingham and London and in these we are delivering the next big things that will help our customers succeed.
We’d like you to be part of it.
Your influence will extend far beyond the immediate team. Working with product owners and designers, the innovative and creative side to your personality will shine through. Ever the problem-solver, your data-driven approach to solution design makes you the strongest advocate of our customers.
We offer a very competitive rewards package, a great pension scheme, bonus, generous holiday entitlement and private medical insurance. You can look forward to a host of other benefits including cycle to work and season ticket loans.
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com.
All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).